What can I do?

matt_barlow

I hope I did not screw up! I just purchased a delta 1010lt and a samson mixpad 12 for 424 dollars w/ shipping(ebay). How many tracks will I now be able to record at once and edit seprately in cooledit pro 2.0 and how will it sound? I just want decent demo quality recordings and I was wondering if this could get it done if I got some decent mics. Thanks in advance, Matt

You can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously with the 1010lt, or 10 tracks if you also do 2 tracks of SPDIF. You can mix up to as many tracks as your computer can handle.

Your recordings will sound like crap until you learn what you're doing. It takes experience and knowledge, in that order.

You've started off on the right foot. The 1010lt has plenty of potential to make some really nice recordings.

Slackmaster 2000

Does the Samson Mixpad 12 have at least 8 channel inserts? If not, you may need a different mixer to record 8 mic level tracks at once (if not, you can only do 4 at once - 2 using the 1010lt's built-in pre's and 2 using the mixer bus).

Hopefully I'm wrong and your mixer has inserts. :confused:

Could I send the mic signals through the aux sends on the 6 mono/mic channels to get them to my computer? Would this work and if so how would it sound? Thanks, Matt

Generally, channel sends are knobs, not jacks. Adjusting an aux send knob on a channel "sends" that amount of signal into the corresponding Aux bus (to which an outboard effects box/rack is usually connected). This is how you use, say, one reverb unit for all the tracks with different amounts on each track.

What you need is are "channel inserts" or "direct outs". The idea is that the mixer "pre-amps" the signal for each channel, then sends it out via an insert (or direct out) and into your 1010. Your delta won't pick up a microphone's signal without it being pre-amped (forgive me if I'm over-explaining things you already know).

If Samson is using different terminology (or, if I'm just old and lame), then cool. But I'd definitely double check before they ship that puppy.

If you don't have 3 stereo aux busses, which I'm assuming you don't, then you can't isolate 6 mics via aux. You probably just have one aux bus. If there is a direct aux output then you can isolate 4 mics total using the main bux and the aux bus.

What sean is describing are channel inserts or direct channel outputs (they're not the same thing, but your ability to isolate mics would be the same with both). Your mixer may not have these.

Slackmaster 2000

Wait I just reread your post. Does your mixer have some sort of "aux send and receive" on each channel? Are they physical jacks or knobs that send to the aux bus? If they are physical jacks, then what you have is either channel inserts or some kind of "effects loops" style of insert...don't know about that. Can you describe in more detail what you mean?

Actually, can you link us to literature on your mixer? It'll be easy to tell what you can do from that.

Slackmaster 2000

Nevermind I looked it up.

The Mixpad 12 has one stereo aux bus. Each channel has two sends to that aux bus (on post eq, one pre). Using this mixer you can only isolate 4 microphones. In addition to the 1010lt's mic pres, that gives you a total of 6 mic channels.

If that doesn't suit your needs, you'll need a mixer with channel inserts like the Mackie 1202VLZ...or a couple channels of standalone preamp.

Slackmaster 2000

Sorry for being a little late on that. So this means I can at least have 6 seperate channels recorded at once and get them edited seperately in cooledit. Thanks Matt

Yup. That seems to be the case. The mixer does not have channel inserts or direct outs. If you need 8, I'd either get a small 2 channel mic pre, or try to return (or sell) the mixer.

Back