What can i do with 2 AMD Athlon xp ( 1800+ and 2500+ )

Paranfer

Hi, how you doing everybody, i'm wondering what can i do with 2 AMD Athlon xp, one that is at 1800+ 1.5 GHZ and the second that is 2500+ at 1.8 GHZ.
My question is:

I'm having a home recording studio since 2000.
I'm recording with Cubase SX2, with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard,
a presonus Blue Tube Mic Preamp and a Marshall Mxl 1006 Microphone.

Can i used both PC, i don't know how, But, is it possible to used them both
at the same time to finally have like a 3.3 GHZ for recording and mixing and
mastering. Is it possible in anyway, just to boost my studio.

Your help would be really appreciate.
Thanks a lot.
Let me know.

no, not unless u get a dual-processor motherboard, but i dont even know if they make those for amd athlon xp processors. dual-processor motherboards r usually very expensive anyways, ud be better off getting a new motherboard+cpu combo with like an intel pentium 4 3.4ghz or an amd 64bit 3200+.

Thanks a lot for the information.I'm gonna check if some motherboards could do the job.But like you said, ! dual-processor motherboards r usually very expensive anyways! i think an AMD Athlon 64 bits 3400+ would be better or a P4.
Thanks again, i really appreciate.

Woth just a 2 channel soundcard, do you really need to buy more parts? Or do you really maybe just need more RAM:D

teddyastuffed said:
no, not unless u get a dual-processor motherboard, but i dont even know if they make those for amd athlon xp processors. dual-processor motherboards r usually very expensive anyways, ud be better off getting a new motherboard+cpu combo with like an intel pentium 4 3.4ghz or an amd 64bit 3200+.

I'm pretty sure they have to be balanced also. I've never designed an MP computer so haven't really studied it but I am under the impression that all the processors need to match pretty closely. It also pays to have an MP processor, no? I think you *can* use an XP but it is better to have the MP.

Paranfer said:
Can i used both PC, i don't know how, But, is it possible to used them both
at the same time to finally have like a 3.3 GHZ for recording and mixing and
mastering.

Not with the software you are using for sure, and possibly not with any. Linux will cluster, which is what you are wanting, but I don't know of any Windows clustering...not like that anyway. At any rate you don't end up with a 3.3 anyway. You do get faster and more responsive but not by that much, especially when the processors or not sharing resources like memory and such.

What I would do instead is manually load balance and set each up to do its own thing. Maybe one can be a recording station and the other a mixing station. Or maybe one can just be a fileserver. There are several options and I believe most studios (beyond the simple single DAW ones that is) use several computers in a network and each does its own thing.

If you are still interested in this you can start by websearching for something called a beowulf cluster. There are a couple of projects designed to build user-invisible clustering but I forget their names. I'm sure Linux cluster would also turn up quite a few informative links. You wouldn't be able to use your current sound software though for sure. Personally I don't think this is really what you want to do but there it is.

The short answer is "no."

There is no way you can combine two computers in some way to result in additive performance unless the software you use is written expressly for it.

What you CAN do is network them together in a workgroup and use the slower computer as your internet browser, game player, word processor, and file archiver. Use the faster computer as the DAW.

nroberts said:
teddyastuffed said:
I'm pretty sure they have to be balanced also. I've never designed an MP computer so haven't really studied it but I am under the impression that all the processors need to match pretty closely. It also pays to have an MP processor, no? I think you *can* use an XP but it is better to have the MP.
I'm not aware of any multi-processor motherboard that will allow you to run two processors of different speeds. In my experience the two (or more) processors being used have to be of exactly the same type and speed.

Thanks a lot guys, now i know the answer to my question.But like NROBERTS
said, i will manually load balance and set each up to do its own thing. I think,
after i read all of your post, i've ended it up to the right place.

Thanks again, really appreciate.

You can use VST System Link to even out the load between two or more computers, but you need entire systems, not just processors.

What you mean by a VST System Link, the entire systems, not just the processors.
Do you mean like an external interface, a modem or something like that, a router.
I guess it's a Steinberg Interface for loading up more than one computer at a time.
Any links for that VST System Link.

Cubase gives you the option to calculate some stuff on a different computer, using an ethernet connection. That's VST System Link.

VST system link can be frustrating to get dialed in right, but if you do it can be a wonderful tool. It allows you to let one computer process some things, well another computer processes others. You can even have two people working on the same song at the same time on two differnt computers. You have to use a Steinberg app though (Cubase or Nuendo).

xstatic said:
VST system link can be frustrating to get dialed in right, but if you do it can be a wonderful tool. It allows you to let one computer process some things, well another computer processes others. You can even have two people working on the same song at the same time on two differnt computers. You have to use a Steinberg app though (Cubase or Nuendo).

Do you need seperate licenses for each system, or is there a provision for using a single license in this manner?

Thats a good question, I have only used dempo machines so far in a system link setup, never had or needed to do it for myself. Good question though:D

i know for a guy that uses VST system link on samplitude!

Anyway, i am interested in this VST system link stuff!

Can anybody say something more?

Halion said:
You can use VST System Link to even out the load between two or more computers, but you need entire systems, not just processors.

Thank you. I was just about to mention that after all those no posts. :)

11miles said:
i know for a guy that uses VST system link on samplitude!

Anyway, i am interested in this VST system link stuff!

Can anybody say something more?

Something More! :p Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Sony Media "Vegas" 5.0 and above have a network rendering system as well. You only need one license, and you install the network rendering service on each network computer, and voila! a 'rendering farm' (of sorts). I have tried it and it works pretty well.

Back