Vadim

recently my music pc crashed few times:
I'm working in a project then audio buzzes
blue screen pops up,
and audio keeps on buzzing.

I restart the pc.

keep on working few hours.

next day same story....

yesterday after the crash, I removed 2 memory modules, (i had two 1GB, 512 and 256), now I have two 1GB modules and pc won't even boot....

then installed all the memory modules back in place, all four of them.
The PC booted.

Today I strated working on a project after about 3 hours, the system crashed and again the blue screen apeared.

What's wrong?

PC Specs:
AMD 3800+ Dual Core
Foxconn Winfast MOBO
M-Audio 1010lt
No Internet connection, all latest Drivers.

I had same problem months ago (blue screen) and sent to a technician.
He told me that 1 of my 512mb (I have two) DDr400 was bad.
He said to take out of computer for some hours and try again.
It happened in march, I did it and works.
Who knows, do you alreay tried the same with your 1GB memory?

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/openstation

All 4 slots are populated.

And I ran memory test few times with various memory testers it shows OK...

I also noticed that memory sticks sit kinda loose, can it be possible that they loose contact, and system crashes?

How old is the system. When you tried the 2, 1meg dimms did you have them next to each other ? Some boards with 4 memory slots require 1 in the first and 1 in the third. Are the memory slots two different colors ? I personally would not use two 1 megs and a 512 and a 256. The 1 megs have better timing rates then the 512 and 256 dimms. And when you place all the modules in the motherboard sets the timing to the slowest. That will kill the performance. So in reality the two 1 megs will run faster than using all four. Also another killer (blue screen) is your power supply. If it starts acting funny with its voltage then it will bring up a blue screen of death. Also did you mess with the memory timing in the bios ? I bet its the memory issue. Place the 1 meggers in slot one and three and try to boot up. If that doesnt work try 2 and 4, then 1 and 2, then 3 and 4. Could be heat related too. But try the memory thing first. When I trouble shoot, I yank out all card and memory modules and put in the video card and one memory module and then try it. If its stable then I know those are fine and I add one thing at a time till I find the culprit.

I had the exact same problem before and it turned out to be the video card and not the ram. It just don't pay to cheap out on the video card.

I had the exact same problem before and it turned out to be the video card and not the ram. It just don't pay to cheap out on the video card.

Yep, its a crap shoot most of the time. I have a few extra old video cards always on hand as well as other peripherals.

I don't have any VideoCard besides MoBo integraded,
But i will be adding one, since i need 3 displays...

I'll try messing with memory

How old is the system. When you tried the 2, 1meg dimms did you have them next to each other ? Some boards with 4 memory slots require 1 in the first and 1 in the third. Are the memory slots two different colors ? I personally would not use two 1 megs and a 512 and a 256. The 1 megs have better timing rates then the 512 and 256 dimms. And when you place all the modules in the motherboard sets the timing to the slowest. That will kill the performance. So in reality the two 1 megs will run faster than using all four. Also another killer (blue screen) is your power supply. If it starts acting funny with its voltage then it will bring up a blue screen of death. Also did you mess with the memory timing in the bios ? I bet its the memory issue. Place the 1 meggers in slot one and three and try to boot up. If that doesnt work try 2 and 4, then 1 and 2, then 3 and 4. Could be heat related too. But try the memory thing first. When I trouble shoot, I yank out all card and memory modules and put in the video card and one memory module and then try it. If its stable then I know those are fine and I add one thing at a time till I find the culprit.

Replace every occurrence of meg with gig.

Wait a minute... your memory is loose?! It should have locking mechanisms on either side of the stick of Ram like this: (http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/images/buildsystem/IMG_6797.jpg)

Are they locked in? If not, that very likely could be an issue.

Another likely candidate could be a software/driver problem, although if your PC wasn't booting I'd definitely point towards the memory. Put one 1GB stick into slot 0(1) and make sure it's locked down. Run memtest on it, and see if it finds anything (I know you've run it before: just trust me). If it doesn't find anything, run your computer for a week or two with just 1GB of memory in it (it should run just about everything just fine with "just" 1GB). See if your problem re-occurs. Then re-post :)

Currently I'm messing with 1 gig modules, looks like they should be in slot 1 and 3, but any way sometimes i get the blue screen sometimes not after restarting,
sometimes this messege pops up at start up:
"One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

Currently I'm messing with 1 gig modules, looks like they should be in slot 1 and 3, but any way sometimes i get the blue screen sometimes not after restarting,
sometimes this messege pops up at start up:
"One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

That usually indicates that your ram timings are set too low. Open your bios and set the ram timings higher. You may also want to goose the voltage a bit depending on the brand of ram that you are using.

I tried just one 512MB stick, no crashes so far..
But Alot of Audio buzzes in music applications

Try a memtest86 CD in your system.
http://www.memtest86.com/
Download from the link that says:
Download - Memtest86 v3.4a ISO image (zip)
Burn this iso to CD using nero or any cd burning software that supports iso disk images.
Boot off the cd and let it run a full test on your RAM - this will take quite a while.

If the RAM checks out then it may well be the hard drive with your O/S on.
To test a hard drive partition, from the start menu hit run and type:
in the box.

Now type
chkdsk c: /X /R
Replace c: with the partition you need to check.
Check them all if necessary.
You will probably need to re-boot after each of these checks - or sometimes they will be run directly after you reboot.

Yesterady it seamed OK with One 512MB stick,
today the pc crashed again....

It either crashes at start up, or when the audio program (cubase and some vsts) are running....

Yesterady it seamed OK with One 512MB stick,
today the pc crashed again....

It either crashes at start up, or when the audio program (cubase and some vsts) are running....

It would be much more helpful if you posted what the BSOD says..

Back