What cables to buy for Patch bay hook-up

Bushice

I'm in the process of hooking up all of my studio gear through a patch bay, and need to buy some 12, 18 and 24 inch cables to finish the job. They are generally 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch, although a few would have RCA on one end.
Any suggestions on brands/types/manufacturers?

Thanks,

Bushice

Mister

Thanks. I've heard of Monster cable, but not the other three. Are they all in the same price range?

Nay Nay Nay:

Stay loose Bruce. I agree Radio Shack doesn't have high quality stuff/cables; however, I was in there the other day and found a good quality stereo to stereo 1/4 inch cable. It wasn't as long as I'd like it but HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO FIND A STEREO TO STEREO CABLE?

So, Radio Shack does, at times, have some good stuff.

By the way Blue One, the cable I got was oxygen free, etc., and when I plugged it in as a patch between my cans and the multiple can patch box, THE SOUND WAS GREAT. It was so good, I went back to RS the next day and bought the LAST ONE THEY had. I've heard that the store in my neck of the woods is going to shut down. Ahh, well, another Emron.

Let me know if you have a GOOD vendor for cables, especially stereo to stereo.

Green Hornet

:D :D :p

Yo Bushy One:

The mentioned cables by the Bear of Blueland, ALL are at the "high end." Some higher than others.

It is not expensive if you consider the results.

But, you need to try "one" and buy more if you dig it.

Green Hornet:D :D :p :p :rolleyes:

You mean TRS to TRS, for line level use, right? Watch out getting "stereo" cables- they are usually unshielded, as in "for headphone use", and may not be at all appropriate for line-level audio use around a patchbay. TRS plugs and stereo plugs are really the exact same hardware: but what we usually need for interconnect is balanced differential TRS, and not stereo- and that's a function of the wire used..

Having said that: http://www.markertek.com and http://www.fullcompass.com both have balanced differential TRS cables available, off the shelf. Marketek will also custom make cables for you in any length, if you don't feel like soldering them up yourself. The Markertek and Full Compass catalogs should be on every recordist's bookshelf...

Thanks, Hornet.

Since I Haven't really tried any but Monster, how do you , or anyone else even feels about any one brand over another? I've got the $$$ to spend on good cables, but I don't want to experiment with a bunch of different ones up front. I'd rather rely on the experience and advice of other users.

Also, Has anyone bought any thing from either Markertek or Full Compass? I haven't bought much over the web, but it would be more convienient for me for sure when it comes to cables.

Bushice

I just got a few (Mogami) cables from FullCompass. Technically, the sale went through thier "sister" company because I am not a "dealer". The "dealer" prices are actually really darned nice compared to what I pad at the "sister company". As it was. I saved only a few dollars compared to just buying Monster cables at my local G.C.

Frankly, the 500-sreies Monsters I have are considerably more substantial than the Mogami cables, and the way they are marketed I still think I'm getting a better cable than these Mogami's I've got (but I don't have an EE degree to interpret the Mogami docs.)

For clarity, I got 3 different cables from "FullCompass":

$25.00 one XLRB-00-12 (12' XLRf/XLRm on Mogami Neglex 2534 with Neutrik connectors)

$27.00 two RR-1500 (15' RCAm/RCAm on Mogami 2964.)

$9.00 one RR-03 (3' RCA "S/PDIF" cable also on Mogami 2964 "hi-def AV cable")

They (the new Mogami's) sound good, but I am probably not the best judge, and I dont have cheap RCAs to A/B test with anyway. The mic cable is pretty safe to assume is equal or better to both my Monster 100-series mic cable and obviously the "free" mic cables I got with my Shure SM57s but it'd be nice to understand why. I need to go read more of Harvey and Bruces (and all the other guru's) posts and see if more of it sinks in this time around!

(I'm thinking of saetting up some "Ask Dr. Audio" pages on my website, but work is picking up, so probably not this week, but it'd be nice to make some of the great info at this site more accesible and concise.)

-Shaz

Back