What are your feelings in regards to

Buyin Used Mics

• Have Purchased Used Mics.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Have Not Purchased Used Mics.

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Have Purchased Used Mics & Would Do It Again.

Votes: 62 62.6%
  • Have Purchased Used Mics & Got Burnt. Would Not Do It Again.

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
always have, always will. :D

buying and reselling used gear gives me the chance to try out a lot more gear then i would normally be able to. if i get bored with a used mic, alot of times i can resell it for the same price that i paid for it and use the money to try something else.

buying, selling, swapping used gear is a true gear whore technique. :D

I don't buy used anything. I have to have stuff that is brand new. I think it's an OCD. :(

I've bought used and also traded with some members of this board and all the deals were straight up. I'd do it again. Never done an E Bay thang though.

warble said:
I'd personally be leary of an eBay purchase where the seller didn't know if any of the items worked properly.

This could be wrong, but I take it that when an ebaY seller says they "don't know" if an item is working or not, it means they do know, and it isn't...

billisa said:
This could be wrong, but I take it that when an ebaY seller says they "don't know" if an item is working or not, it means they do know, and it isn't...

Either that or they're ignorant or incompetent. Caveat emptor.

Oooops! There I go contradicting myself again.....

I just bought a used-but-mint-condition Audix i5 off the bay....works great, less filling, and it really was in mint condition! :)

Only because it's for mic'ing my guitar cab and nothing else. I dont think I could buy a used mic for singing into...... unless I bought it from Martina McBride or Carrie Underwood or sumpin sumpin....

I've bought a bunch of used mics w/o a problem, including a Blue Bluebird & Blueberry, Rode NT-4, and an Oktava MK-219. I think if you're buying of messageboards like this one, keep to members (huhuh) with a long track record (the good guys list here is great). Ebay obviously, check the feedback. If buying off Craigslist, I'd ask for a chance to try the mic out in the seller's place, just because you don't have the same kinds of protection (accountability/feedback) that you get on the messageboards or ebay.

B stock SP mic

I purchased a B stock Studio Projects TB1 mic and would do it again. The mic was 1/3 less and still had a full warranty. It sounds great. I also purchased a B stock Joemeek threeQ. Great little preamp with compressor and equalizer. :)

i buy used mic's. no matter to me....

especially with things like 57's and instrument mics, i mean who cares really, i'm not singing through it (lol)

as a matter of fact, if the mic looks clean, i'll go with it, because i dont sing at all, in any recording, and i probably never will... i wish i could sing..

the only mics ive bought new where my overheads, cause they were $200 for the pair and being blown out by MF. new price is $200 a piece, which they arent really worth IMO. AKG C430's, nice little mics, but not for $400 for a pair.

Two points:

1) Most of mine were bought used because most of my mikes are classic mikes long since discontinued. However, I am old enough that my SM-57 Unidyne IIIs were bought new!

2) I tend to buy from individuals I know at least a little about. For instance, I just bought a pair of modded SM-81s from Scott Dorsey, whom I have known (at least by email conversation) for over a decade as a fellow Ampex list member. I will mainly use the SM-81 bodies with a pair of SM-80 (omni) capsules I bought a few months back. Back to point 1, the SM-80 was discontinued around 2000 or so, due to low sales (not enough people either know the value of using accurate omni mikes or have a quiet enough space to use them). Shure was selling about thousands of SM-81s per year and no more than 10 SM-80s per year!

Cheers,

Otto

I think used recording gear is a great idea- and I just bought Kensington's Peluso CEMC6 (should get here Friday!). I do prefer to buy from boards/groups like this one, where it's a smaller pool of individuals you can trust- as opposed to ebay.

Anyone else want to sell me a used CEMC6?

Back