What are your favorite reference CD's and WHY??

zip

I thought it may be interesting to see what folks listen to prior to mixing to either pump you up or tune your ears in....

These are my 3 favs...

1) Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here. Why?

Three words... DYNAMICS, DYNAMICS, DYNAMICS!!! OK - well that's one word but... What a wonderful use of dynamics it is! Almost silent to in your face sax. Vocals warm but not muddy. Excellent use of "sound effects" and creative synth...

If I could choose one style I wanted to mix like...this would be it!

2) Dream Theater. Scenes From a Memory.

Anyone who has heard this CD will know what I am talking about. BIG sound. Highly compressed NY style but not squashed. Probably one of the best examples of highly complex music where everything still has it's own space. Clear PRISTINE vocals. LOVE IT!!

3) Shania Twain. Come on Over. Why??

She friggin' HOT - that's why!! :p;) No really... It's what I put in when I find things getting muddy...especially in the lower midrange. Constantly reminds me to WATCH this critical area. Too many lower mids just kill a good mix. Although I know it's not true - the lower mids almost seem absent on this CD... well not absent - but TRANSPARENT...perfect.

What about you guys/gals...???

zip >>

Since this subject has already been covered, then I'll at least second your notion that Shania Twain is HOT ! ! ! Kinda' makes you want to become a record producer when you think an old dude like Mutt can get a hottie like her.

Hot chick recording artists always seem to fall for their producers.

Almost as much as supermodels go for old, ugly rock stars (see: every member of the Rolling Stones, Rick Okasek, Steven Tyler, etc.), as a matter of fact! Why is that?

The ones I keep consistently reaching for:
* Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
* Steely Dan - AJA
* Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
* XTC - English Settlement
* Red Hot Chili Peppers - BSSM

Bruce

Last edited:
Beatles: White Album

Floyd: WYWH

Plus any recording of Beethoven's 5th by Berlin Philharmonic...Huge variation in dynamics plus almost entire frequency range is utilized with instruments like contra bassoon and piccolo.

Red Hot Chili peppers: BSSM also is good.

Blue Bear Sound said:
The ones I keep consistently reaching for:
* Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Wow. I love that album but I certainly never would have picked it as a model for mixing. I find it very "80s" sounding in terms of production.

* Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

Now THERE you go. :)

Red Hot Chili PEppers - BSSM

I'm telling you, if I could get my mixes to sound like that....

is it just me, or did anyone else think the production of Californication wasn't half as good as BSSM?

d

mojotooth said:
Wow. I love that album but I certainly never would have picked it as a model for mixing. I find it very "80s" sounding in terms of production.
It's not for production values that I choose it as a mix reference, it's for the mix balance and overall sound quality...

When talking reference samples, I think most people are NOT using them for production reference - only a sonic reference.

Bruce

both a perfect circle and tool(should come as no surprise).

i play a similar style, so its good to use them as reference.

B & K Demo disc. Lots of different types/styles/genres - all done with B & K mics. Pretty damned good!

- Wil

(for B & K read DPA)

Rochey said:
Red Hot Chili PEppers - BSSM

I'm telling you, if I could get my mixes to sound like that....

is it just me, or did anyone else think the production of Californication wasn't half as good as BSSM?

d

Absolutely. Californication is WAY overcompressed, and I hear distortion on the upper end when I listen to parts of it. Also I don't like the way the drums sound.

That is hitting the hammer on the head.

BSSM managed to get each of the instruments sounding individual, and yet they blend amazingly.

The drums sound good, the bass does (although that may be down to technique)

Californication's drums sound like shite, whereas BSSM drums are a lot cleaner.

just my opinion.

d

zip said:

1) Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here. Why?

Three words... DYNAMICS, DYNAMICS, DYNAMICS!!! OK - well that's one word but... What a wonderful use of dynamics it is! Almost silent to in your face sax. Vocals warm but not muddy. Excellent use of "sound effects" and creative synth...

If I could choose one style I wanted to mix like...this would be it!

2) Dream Theater. Scenes From a Memory.

Anyone who has heard this CD will know what I am talking about. BIG sound. Highly compressed NY style but not squashed. Probably one of the best examples of highly complex music where everything still has it's own space. Clear PRISTINE vocals. LOVE IT!!

Its Amazing...I use these 2 as well. My 3rd favorite is the Double CD soundtrack from Amadeus...Lots of dynamics there, more than than the usual number of frequencies because of the number of different instruments.

I also like Passion and Warfare from Steve Vai, a little over produced but still a benchmark for shred.

XTC bruce...That surprises me... Do you know what its like waking up to "Kiss My Snatch" at 2 in the morning.....

Peace,
Dennis

Treble Charger- Wide Awake Bored
Steeley Dan- AJA
Nirvana-Nevermind
Garbage-Version 2.0
Metallica-The Black Album
Shania Twain-Come on over
Def Leppard- Hysteria

I use anyone of these corresponding with the genre of music im recording and the end sound I want to acheive...

Re: Re: Hey Bruce

Blue Bear Sound said:
It was alternative before "alternative" ever existed as a genre... "British alternative" maybe???

Bruce

I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

Hey Dennis!!

Have you heard the new DT CD yet? I'm dying to hear what it sounds like....curious...

VOX...

Good point about thinking end result...

Having Shania around would be a good end result... ;):p:D

She's a CANADIAN GAL TOO....

Re: Re: Re: Hey Bruce

zip said:

Hey Dennis!!

Have you heard the new DT CD yet? I'm dying to hear what it sounds like....curious...

Nope, I haven't heard it...I was frustrated G3 with John Pettrucci, Vai and Stach didn't come to Seattle. Have you heard any LTE (Liquid Tension Experiment)... I know DT has strong connections to LTE but I can never come to grip with buying it.

Peace,
Dennis

Back