What Are Undiscovered Mic Bargains?

Audio Technica AT4054 and AT4055. Capsule is based on the AT4050, but in a hand held format. Replaced by the AE5400. The 4054 is rolled off and the 4055 is not. The AE5400 has, surprise, a roll off switch.

These originally listed for @$500 when they came out. Now they can be found on e-bay for @$140. Essentially a cardioid only AT4050 for cheap. A couple were listed here several months ago and I was surprised that no one picked them up. I would have, except I already have three of them. Which of course is the reason that I'm adding them to this list -- I already have mine. :D

I tested the SM58, Beta 58 and BG 3.1 ... and choose the BG 3.1.
... Sadly you can only buy it on eBay these days.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>
Happily I just won one for $10.50 + $6 S&H :)

I also picked up a Peavey 520i last weekend off Craigslist for $60. Not such a screaming good deal but it came with the aluminum case which of course makes it sound better :D

Seriously I'm really impressed with the ability of the 520i to reject off axis noise. It seems to do a great job with vocals (for a baritone) and I'm hoping to try it soon underneath the grand piano.

Cad M179. Good workhorse.
Also the V67G...I've found it's better suited for my vox but may be pretty good on other stuff.

I love these threads

Hi,

I've already added a few mics to my ebay search list.

I always promote the Realistic 1070b. Great omnis cheap on ebay. The c and d models are black but they sound the same. Pay a little more for the d and get the name Shure on the label. The b, c, and d were all made in Mexico by Shure. They look exactly like an EV RE50. You can think of them as RE50s or EV 635a mics with extended frequency range. Very clean sounding dynamic omnis.

There are some very good lav mics you can get used on the cheap. The target market for these mics is video production but that doesn't mean they don't have good audio quality.

The EV 649b is a durable omni lav mic similar to the EV mics discussed above. Great sound tailored for vocals. I use one live as my vocal and harp mic velcroed to my harp rack.

The Audio Technica 831b is an entirely different creature. It's a cardiod condensor designed to clip onto instruments. It comes with a soundhole clip that lets you attach it to a guitar. It has a battery/phantom power pack that can clip on the belt. This is a recording setup only, not for live audio. But it reliably sounds like a good condenser mic on a guitar without the guitarist having to be as careful about mic placement.

And finally I want to highlight the Audio Technica Pro 37 or Pro37r microphones. Cardiod pattern SDCs with fantastic high end detail. Just run an a/b comparison with these and you'll hear the difference.

And I entirely agree. Most of the mics mentioned can be had at bargain prices. And they are high quality, not just good for the price. I even like the SM58. But not for every vocalist.

So I implore you. Keep this thread growing. If they can't be had at a bargain I can't afford them at all.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I've already added a few mics to my ebay search list.

I always promote the Realistic 1070b. Great omnis cheap on ebay. The c and d models are black but they sound the same. Pay a little more for the d and get the name Shure on the label. The b, c, and d were all made in Mexico by Shure. They look exactly like an EV RE50. You can think of them as RE50s or EV 635a mics with extended frequency range. Very clean sounding dynamic omnis.
Hairy Larry
Larry, any hints on ID'ing the Realistic mics? I scoured eBay and notice most people selling Realistic mics aren't music types and are at a loss to give you a model number (good if you're bargain hunting and know what to look for ;) ). Any opinions on the Realistic "Highball" mics? They seem to be all over which makes me think they're not worth the cost of shipping. :rolleyes:

When I spy something that I think might be a good deal and google it I invariable find the best info is right here on the HR BBS :) I noticed a couple of AKG d 8000s up for sale and there doesn't seem to be much of an opinion here on those one way or the other :confused: I did turn up that they're running a two fer offer right now at GC (2 for $50) and with most folks charging on the order of $8 for shipping it hardly seems worth resorting to eBay if these are any good.

AKG C3000 -not 'B'.
Don't know if it's a bargain', more a place where the old edgy unwanted black sheep' finds a home- Bass cabs, floor tom.

As many here know, I'm a big fan of certain AKG dynamics, but the 8000 isn't one of them. It all makes no sense. They build D690 and D770, both cheap mics and damn good ones, then they discontinue them and build D8000. Trust me- spook around and find a D770 used. Should be about $50 max. I can't believe Guitar Center is blowing out D3800's for about $100. It was planned as a $300 dynamic, but didn't sell. I've got a D3800, and it's a *great* mic, but not for vocals- too sensitive for my taste. I use the SM7b as a stage vocal mic, and I keep a Sennheiser e835 handy if I need a cheap replacement. It's no SM7, but it will do in a pinch. The D3800 is a great live mic for instruments, especially quiet ones. Sensitive, and still fairly feedback resistant. It's good on banjo, violin, piano (what I use it for, mostly), mandolin. I don't generally use it on cabs or drums. It's a good vocal mic for a *great* vocalist (not me), but it is an unforgiving mother. The proximity effect is very abrupt, and I prefer it on things that don't move a lot. The D770, on the other hand, was AKG's answer to the SM57. Stick it on whatever you have. As a rule, it won't suck, and it won't break. What's not to love?-Richie

Realistic and AKG

Hi,

I have to concur on the AKG D770. Always one of my first choices for a vocals mic. There are just some mics that are better than they ought to be and the 770 is one of them.

As far as the Realistic mics go I have developed a rule of thumb. If they have XLR connectors they were manufactured for the pro or semi pro market and they will work with my equipment. If they have 1/4" phone plugs they were probably designed for Karaoke or some similar consumer use so steer clear. Of course there are exceptions.

The Realistic ball mics competed directly with Shure for the garage band market. Often Shure was competing with itself because Radio Shack jobbed the mics out to Shure and other manufacturers.

As far as IDing the mics the model number is the thing. Send an ebay message if they don't give the model number. But as far as the excellent 1070 series most sellers will give the number. If it's a 1070d they will certainly put Shure in their description. It says Shure right on the mic.

Here's a great link for spec sheets and other info on vintage Realistic products.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/2842.htm

Many of the Realistic mics are usable. Some are very good. But the 1070b, c, and d are truly exceptional mics, extremely versatile, durable and wonderful sounding.

Dynamic omni recording mics.

Better than they ought to be.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

1070b, c, d

Larry, any hints on ID'ing the Realistic mics? I scoured eBay and notice most people selling Realistic mics aren't music types and are at a loss to give you a model number (good if you're bargain hunting and know what to look for ;) ). Any opinions on the Realistic "Highball" mics? They seem to be all over which makes me think they're not worth the cost of shipping. :rolleyes:

When I spy something that I think might be a good deal and google it I invariable find the best info is right here on the HR BBS :) I noticed a couple of AKG d 8000s up for sale and there doesn't seem to be much of an opinion here on those one way or the other :confused: I did turn up that they're running a two fer offer right now at GC (2 for $50) and with most folks charging on the order of $8 for shipping it hardly seems worth resorting to eBay if these are any good.

Alden,

The model numbers are 1070b, 1070c, 1070d, Realistic Brand. They look just like EV RE50s. Basically Radio Shack was taking advantage of the RE50's popularity in TV studios with a look alike made by Shure. They must have made a million of them because they are always on ebay and usually $20 or less each except the 1070d usually goes for around $30. These mics are much better than they ought to be. I use mine for recording outside. Put a windscreen on and you get less wind noise than cardiod or condensor mics.

The highballs were sold over a period of many years with many models and probably many sources. I have read that some of them were made by Shure but I have no direct confirmation of this. The vintage highballs are in fact similar to the Shure Unidyne highballs, basically low end vocal dynamics.

For bargains in this type of mic I look at the AKG 770 and 690 already mentioned and the EV PL80 which is a really good dynamic vocals mic that can be had under $50 sometimes. They have reissued this mic but I have no first hand experience with the new ones, only the vintage ones which are really good stage mics and not bad for recording many things including cabinets.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I picked up 2 AT3035 mics for $50 each off of ebay...I think it is the best deal you can get on a LDC...and its a decent mic for a change...I got an AKG2000b for arround the same price...not as good as the AT...but a good deal just the same.

Ive gotten incredible deals on some dynamics...but it was more about being in the right place at the right time.

Yo Darrin! I'm not interested in starting an opinion war, but I would be interested in your rough comparison of AT3035 and C2000B. If the 3035 is "better", in what way, and on what applications have you compared them?-Richie

Its nicer on Cymbols and strings...my C2000b is brighter and the AT3035 is smooth in the high end...its just my preference I guess...but I have to cut som HF on the C2000b.

Both were a good deal at the price and I recomend them both.

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for an ATM25. :)

This is definitely not a "all around" mic by ANY means, but I picked up a Nady RSM-4 ribbon for $60 on sale from Musician's Friend maybe a 18 months ago as part of their "stupid deals of the day" promotion. I had a computer crash the day I got it (loose RAM), so I never got around to testing it out until a couple months ago.

It KILLS as a lead guitar microphone for hard rock/metal. A RSM-4 close-mic'd on my Mesa Rectifier Roadster maybe 1/2" off the grill, is the best lead sound I've ever gotten. It's easy to place, and just sounds very smooth and sweet - I'll generally low-pass it or roll off a couple dB below maybe 150hz or so just to keep the low end clear (and there's not much energy down there for most guitar solos anyway), but that and a bit of delay is about all I ever do, and it just sits right where I want a lead guitar tone to.

It also makes a good second mic to fill out a SM57 or its ilk a little bit, too. :)

EDIT - what the hell. This isn't my normal lead tone (and it's with my old Rect-o-verb 50 combo, not the Roadster), but the lead here was a fairly clean setting on the second channel, with my Strat and the RSM-4. It's a bit sloppy, but...

I don't even remember if I ended up adding any EQ at all to that, or anything more than a touch of delay....

Back