What are the limitations of outboard effects, and how do you get around them?

Spaceboy108

I'm only beginning learning the application of EQ, compressors, reverb, etc in a mic. I've been fooling around with the stock plugins contained in Pro Tools (currently on version 10). I am definitely a "hands on" person and would rather pump money into hardware than plugins, although I'm aware it could cost much more. I'm wanting to grab some basic hardware to get another feel for these effects rather than sitting here with my mouse, although it's definitely been helpful. I'm curious about the limitations of hardware for home recording on a budget, and how easily they can be gotten around. It seems like hardware can only be used on one track, meaning you would need another compressor for each track that you might want to work on. Is there any way to use one piece of hardware that could be used on any track, without having to get behind the rack and change cabling? The limitation of only applying to one track is the main reason I'm still considering plugins. I've read every "hardware vs plugin" thread I could find on the internet, and while all logic points to plugins being the better route, I know that I'm more likely to use and get a feel for what's needed with hands-on hardware.

(1) I'm a hardware guy.
(1a) The hardware actually has to be "worth it" (if the hardware is "eh" then you're probably better sticking with plugs. If the conversion isn't "worth it" then the same).

(2) Undoubtedly, "worth it" hardware can be a relatively to extremely expensive route.
(2a) I'm a mastering guy, so I'm generally working with a single, stereo source - not 16-40 channels.

(3) Routing always has to be done somewhere. Either with cables or internally - assuming you'd be using a 16x16 DA/AD setup, you'd need two for monitoring (just as you using now) and the others can be used however you like. You could leave those I/O wired to your "typical stuff" (a rack of compressors or EQ's) and route to those I/O digitally or you could leave the I/O wired to "typical I/O" and route signals in analog with a patch bay.

If you're looking "on a budget" you'll probably find ITB to be much more (MUCH more) budget-friendly.

If "on a budget" means "less than $10k" then you could probably set up quite a nice summing rig (I'm a fan of the Neve - uh - I can't remember the model - I'm pretty sure it's the only 16x summing mixer they have - 8816?). That's just summing through hardware, but there's a lot to be said for that. And you can insert gear into specific channels at that point as well. Or you can go all-out and do everything in analog (yes - You'll need one of whatever you need per channel of whatever you have), set up an analog console with patch bays, inserts, etc. and only use your computer as a digital tape deck. The sky's the limit.

but there's a lot to be said for that. And you can insert gear into specific channels at that point as well. Or you can go all-out and do everything in analog (yes - You'll need one of whatever you need per channel of whatever you have), set up an analog console with patch bays, inserts, etc. and only use your computer as a digital tape deck. The sky's the limit.

Hardware is what I do and I don't think I'll ever change. Not yet at least.

I also prefer hardware, but getting hardware that is better than the plugins is EXPENSIVE!

For me the most worthwhile are an 1176 and LA2A clone (I LOVE electronics so I built them myself). Hardware compressors blow away plugins IMO. But still, for basic dynamics control, I just use the built in compressor in Reaper...it's transparent and simple.

EQs are another thing. I have a really nice Pultec clone (homemade...not to brag :)) that is awesome. But, again, when I just need some basic EQ correction or to EQ out bad freqs, I go to the built in Reaper EQ.

So, in summary, hardware stuff blows away plugins when it comes to the vibe/feeling/effects kinda stuff. When it comes to transparent, correction kinda stuff, the plugins are just as good and way easier. And, to get a nice transparent EQ/Compressor that will compare to the plugin that comes with every DAW, you're gonna shell out at least $500 or more and it'll just be a lateral move. To get something "better", it'll cost probably more than $1K per piece.

Oh, and the one exception I can think of is the RNC for $200 or less. It sounds at least as good as the stock compressors, it's transparent, and it's got fun knobs to turn :) That'd be my recommendation for a first hardware piece.

While I do have a DAW rig, it's mainly an editing/comping tool...so when I mix, I'm coming out of the DAW and going through a console and using all outboard processing and effects.

The only limitation I have.....is $$$ to buy more/better outboard gear :) , but overall, my rig is more than adequate and I do have some really nice pieces, though I could always upgrade. :D

It's cool if you can afford it, but if you can only half-ass afford it, the half-ass hardware is gonna sound half-ass and not as good as the plug-ins.

Can I say ass one more time or are the mods gonna get me?

I feel that I'm definitely a hardware guy too. I'm getting decent results from stock Pro Tools plugins, but while it's letting me learn the function of effects, having something in my hand would probably yield better results. I'm not on an analog setup, it's a simple 003-based PT10 setup in a spare bedroom (with a Command 8 for some hands-on mixing control). I'll be expanding and probably moving into a small building in 2012, and upgrading the interface and control surface. I typically prefer technology that's state of the art rather than vintage in design, so I doubt I would go completely analog.

I'm on a budget, and probably looking to spend up to 1k per unit (ideally more like 500 USD) for some basic hardware to start learning. I'm not looking to spend 4-5k on a top of the line mastering EQ yet, but something decent that will get my feet wet. It's not a problem for me to scratch more money together for something really nice when it's needed, but right now, I would probably do as much good with something budget.

moresound can probably answer this, because I'm not really a huge hardware guy, but are there "state of the art" hardware pieces?

most of what I hear about and know of and have used is vintage design (LA2A, 1176, vintage preamps etc.)

The best bang for your buck for outboard gear are preamps and mics... get it right going into the box. It doesn't matter how good the plugins are if you're trying to polish a turd... spend you're money there first...

Back