What am I looking for?

theron

Hey,
I've a crude set up that matches my recording knowlege. I've a problem with proper levels when recording vox and sometimes git tracks. The deal is, I find huge variances in the level of a single track. I.E. I'm cutting a vocal and I set up the level for the highest/hottest point and when I record, the softer part of the vox is really soft and I'm not capturing as much as I'd like. At the hottest spots, it sounds ok but, come mixing time, I have a huge problem getting the vocal track to have clarity on the soft end while keeping the hard/loud end from clipping.

I usually track with an MXL67 into a Berhinger 602a then to my 16 bit SBlive soundcard with Vegas pro being the recording software.

I've been looking at pre amps such as the cheapest JoeMeek I can find and any outboard compressor/limiters I can afford. Is this the right direction to be leaning to. I get decent sounds with what I have but, I wanna boost my tracking quality up and not have so many problems with fitting vox and git tracks into the mix. I've done my best to use common sence mic techniques and I'm heedful of pops. Should I look into outboard solutions to pump my sound quality up a notch or am I being lazy with my current set up?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Theron.

Have you tried using a compressor plugin on the track?

I would also consider upgrading the sound card to a 24 bit entry-level pro card.

Yes, I know my sound card is silly. I won't touch it till I can justify me hearing a difference in bit quality or, at least, me being able to take advantage of it with my input levels.

Are you refering to post-tracking compression? If so, I've been trying to compensate for the huge variances in tracking levels with post tracking comp via plug-ins. I was told a while ago that the best way to get a good track was to record a good one in the first place. Less to fix and screw with and such....

Theron.

Seems like you need to manage levels on the way in to "tape"..Check out a Limiter/Compressor..Like the Levalar by Art its inexpensive {$80.00 or so}and works pretty well..Very simple to use..Then you can use your plugins when you're ready to mix if you mix in the 'puter.Good luck bud

Don

That is my hunch. I'll check out the Levelar. I've heard it mentioned it other's chain but, I plead ignorance and need to start somewhere.

Thanks Don.

Theron.

Trust me, you will hear the difference with a better sound card. You will have less noise and be able to track at a lower volume without too much hiss.

You should be able to compress the track enough in the mix with the plug ins. The idea of 'getting it right' in the tracking does not mean track with compression and effects. You can if you have to but it limits your options later on.

My guess is that you are probably not adjusting the compression properly. What compression plug in are you using and what settings do you try?

I'm using Sonic Foundry comp plug and use a pre-set setting on the vox. I've played around with the settings alot and my understanding of attack and release is pretty solid now. It is my results that are soft and no longer tollerable.

Are you able to do volume envelope adjustments on the track to bring up the soft parts before compression is added? This might make the load on the comp more even.
wayne

Back