What am I doing wrong? (Guitar Fretting Technique)

Pengu1n

So I've been learning guitar recently. At first it was just chords and strumming patterns, but I'm moving into fingerpicking.

My problem is that whenever I switch frets, I do a very quiet pull-off. With chords it's not that noticeable, but when you're only playing one note at a time you can tell it's there.

Is there any way to explain how to move a finger from one fret (that is sounding) to another without the pull off action causing a note to sound?

Thanks.

I'm thinking that your fingerpicking hand is too fast for your other hand. Make sure when you change frets that both your hands are synchronized.

Practice
Practice more
Practice way more

Got good calluses on your left hand fingers yet? Keep practicing!

Ok thanks!
So it's kinda because I'm getting the dents in my fingers that like to pull the strings out?

I realize I should practice, but the point of this topic is to figure out what I'm doing wrong here so that it doesn't become a bad habit.

it's really hard to say without being able to hear it.
But my first instinct is to suggest you might not be lifting your finger high enough and so you're sliding along the string rather than lifting and placing your finger on a different fret.

Practice
Practice more
Practice way more

Got good calluses on your left hand fingers yet? Keep practicing!

Unfortunately, this is pretty much the bottom line with anything to do with music. In the early stages it can be somewhat mystifying, and a bit frustrating, to see an experienced player putting their fingers in what looks like just the same places as you do - yet getting a completely different sound. The difference is the time they've put in.

The most important thing that happens as a result of the hundreds, then thousands, of hours that you put in is that you develop better and better fine motor control - and I'm talking about differences too small to describe in any useful way. As you probably remember, at the start the notes just won't ring clean - everything seems to come out buzzy or muted or a combination of both. Then one day you realise that you're getting most of them right, without really knowing exactly why. You should also find that as you progress and your accuracy of placement improves that you need less and less pressure to get the result. It's an almost inevitable feature of early playing that you press far too hard in an attempt to get things ringing cleanly - yet it only takes quite light pressure to fret a string when the placement and angles are right. Angles (i.e. your posture) can make a difference but, in my experience, the biggest factor is just the gradual improvement in finger control and accuracy. The lighter the touch, the less of a big deal it is pulling it away again too.

Provided that you pay attention and listen to what happens (which you certainly seem to be) then your brain should be subconsciously selecting the bits that work best and filing them away under "Woohoo, we'll do that one again!" and sticking the rest into "Ugh! Don't keep repeating that one....". Hang in there, keep experimenting and practising and one day you'll realise that you sound way better than you used to. At least that's how it's been working for me.

Good luck with it.

Chris

I think it may be because of your calluses also..This and your coordination will develop over time. I seem to remember having the same issue when I first started playing (which was on an old Hondo acoustic with the strings about 1/2" off the neck). Just give her some time...

Back