What about the floor?

Amateur Eric

Question,
I'm in the process of turning my extra bedroom into a recording studio and am wondering about flooring material. It's a 9'-8" x 12'8" (8' height) room with textured gypsum walls and ceiling. Currently the floor is bare concrete.
I was thinking of engineered wood flooring or porcelain tile, but now for several reasons i'm considering vinyl flooring. After I put the auralex absorption and diffusion products in, would the vinyl floor (linoleum) likely cause any adverse effects on the room acoustics?
Just in case your wondering, the reasons for the vinyl thought are cost, ease of installation, ease of up-keep and minimal prep-work for the concrete slab.

Any suggestions/warnings/recommendations?

Thanks
Eric

If the entire room is "dead" by foam etc, a smooth surface floor would liven it up a bit.

Linoleum is not exactly an acoustically pleasing substance, hardwoods of course would sound better, more natural, etc. Pergo engineered wood as a second choice.

Worry more about parallel walls - and remember floors and ceilings are often parallel to each other, yet often overlooked by us eager home studio builders.

Back