What about Mic(s) against the guitar Body?

Dyson Steel

I have tried several different mics, positions, placements, etc.

I found there is a deep richness to recording with 1 of my EV ND-457's against the body below the bridge on my 12 string.

I do not have to crank up the gain and I loose the pick noise. It sounds so much better than the Electra Pre amp that is in the guitar.

The resonance of the body seems to have a much fuller sound.

I also found that I have some Teflon sheeting that I drape across my leg where I sit the Guild on it and that also seems to help sustain the sounds.

Any one else used this methoid before?
Pros & Cons every one?

I'm a big fan of a mic right next to the sound board on nearly any acoustic stringed instrument. On guitars, I tend to use at least two mics, "normally" the other one in proximity with the player's left ear to pick up what the player hears. Of course, this gives you the option on mixing the "body" with the "air" and anywhere in between.

Automated in a full mix, you can crossfade between the two if there are "solo" sections on the acoustic guitar (intros, outros, etc.) and then thin it out a bit for full band sections.

I don't believe I've ever tried the Teflon sheet before... I suppose I can see the theory behind it... I've used Omega stands in a similar manner (also to keep the guitar absolutely still during sessions).

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Massive Master said:
I'm a big fan of a mic right next to the sound board on nearly any acoustic stringed instrument. On guitars, I tend to use at least two mics, "normally" the other one in proximity with the player's left ear to pick up what the player hears. Of course, this gives you the option on mixing the "body" with the "air" and anywhere in between.

Automated in a full mix, you can crossfade between the two if there are "solo" sections on the acoustic guitar (intros, outros, etc.) and then thin it out a bit for full band sections.

I don't believe I've ever tried the Teflon sheet before... I suppose I can see the theory behind it... I've used Omega stands in a similar manner (also to keep the guitar absolutely still during sessions).

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thanks John

I've never used one of those stands. They looked a little akward to me.

But I like to move a little weather I am sitting or standing. I use to stand more but the guitar seems to sound a little different if I have it against me standing up and I can get distance between the body and myself sitting.

But its hard on a Jumbo body anyway.

What mics do you use when close micing?

Do you have quite a few clients use the omega stand? Might be worth the investment for me.

D

Mics - Depends on the guitar... Almost always condensers, sometimes small, sometimes large, sometimes both.

I'm not a giant fan of the Omega either... It just helped a lot if we couldn't control someone's movement or if there were a dozen tunes to get down and you want a really consistent sound.

It's not like "everyone" used it, but when it was needed, it sure was a lifesaver...

John -

Back