What a mine of info.....

hotpotato

Recording acoustic guitar is officially the bane of my life. I got it right once, the room, the mic , the positioning....then moved house the next week.

I've currently got an ADK a51 large condensor and was considering buying a SD condensor to compliment it. For the same budget i could go and buy two SPB1's (the forum fave).

Seems alot of people strongly reccommend the blend of LDC and SDC but i'm not sure its right for what i do. I do a lot of acoustic work but it tends to be rhythm based rather than intricate fretwork.

Which option should i go for?

Mac

Not a whole lot of experience, but from what i have done the following has had the best results:

1. Building some fiberglass bass traps and stacking them in the corners of the room. Big difference in the sound of the acoustic recordings. My room still sucks but this helped greatly.

2. I ahve not actually blended a SDC and LDC, but I really like the XY with two sdc (mxl 603s, no lack of info on them around here), found it did pretty much what i wanted with my recordings and haven't had reason to alter this set up too much or often. The only LDC option i have (oktava 319) was not bright enough to fit mixes as well as i liked in the 603s.

Daav

I'd put the SDC around 12" off the guitar neck, around the 10th fret and angled so it's pointing at where the neck joins the body or 14th fret. Then the LDC by your right ear (assuming you're not a lefty) pointing directly down at the bridge of the guitar. You can point this mic at the bridge from below the guitar, mirror image, if you're getting a lot of breathing noise.

Is combining the SD & LD giving a more accurate representation of the guitar than two LD condensors? I know theres no sure fire answer and it depends on the mics/ Placement etc but assuming average mics in both catagories, there must be a reason why some people only use SD, even though most people in these forums seem to use large ones?

Mac

In very broad terms, SDC's, especially omni directional, are inherently more "accurate." LDC's tend to have a flattering effect. The idea of using one of each is to accurately capture the high end and transient response, and also a rich representation of the resonance of the guitar body.

Back