What 4 track should i buy

WhitChocolate

What is a good 4 track and a good price to pay for the four track?

If any of you can hook me up with this info i will be grateful?

Thanks

Tascam, Fostex and Yamaha are probably the best known brands, although there are others out there. The price and features vary, sometimes you can find a basic used (analog) one for $100-$150. I haven't looked at any for a while, so I'm not really sure what they are going for these days. A good place for prices is zzounds.com, out in Chicago. They usually have fair prices on new stuff, though they do not sell used equipment. Their site is really easy to use, and you can ask questions to the staff there. There is a Tascam and a Fostex forum on this board, just above the "newbies" section, which can help you too. There is almost always someone asking about different units, so definitely go through the posts there. Also, I think that on the home page here, there is a comparison between two different recorders by the same company.
Were you able to check out the music stores in your area?

I just bought a TASCAM 424mkIII for $466. I love it. It has a ton of features. I did alot of research before buying it and it ranks high among cassette 4 tracks.

For that price you could buy a GadgetLabs 8in/8out 24bit soundcard and use the computer you're reading this on to record a hell of a lot more than 4 tracks at much better fidelity.

My recordings when from "eh" to "ahh" the very second I discovered multitracking software.

Even a puke system with a small hard drive will do 4 tracks...and you'll be able to use some great DX effects as well.

"But that's not portable!"

Work out tough guy.

Slackmaster 2000

The Tascam 424 III is pretty much the latest 4-track that company is hyping these days, unless its been outdated already. When I was looking for a new 4-track, it was everywhere. I got it and I'm glad I did. It has a very good clear sound, the e.q. is great and bouncing is no problem. Compare it to the Fostex equivelant and you'll find it has more features. I dont know about price where you are, but its been around for a bit now, so by now it might be a tad more affordable (then when I paid for it, ho hum). If your going to get a brand new one, save the bucks and get the best you can, its an investment.

re: pc as portable recording device.

Well sure you should work out...

But moving your desktop PC around a bunch of times will screw up the harddrive's alignment and your monitor.

Back