Wharfedale vs. Berhringer

Venesectrix

I'm looking to buy my first pair of monitors and I can't spend much. I wanted you guys apinion on these two monitors..

The Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2a (I can get these for $275)

Berhringer TRUTH B2030A (I can get these for $280)

I record a mix of acoustic/vocal songs and heavy electric guitar.

I've never heard the Behringers, but I'd be willing to bet the Wharfedales, which I own, are better. Behringer is the butt of many jokes, and for good reason.

I'm gonna have to say from past posts that you'd be best to go with the wharfedales....if you were doing mainly hiphop stuff then i would probably say go with the behringers....but thats up to interpretation

I own the TRUTH B2031A. I say they are good. You can adjust the back like the lows and the highs If it sounds to bassy. However ive noticed it can hide imperfections which may not be to good for mastering. I recorded something that i thought sounded decent. but when I listened to it with headphones I heard all the little things it hid. Like little mistakes and stray notes. But I say they do sound good. Of coures many will say that sounding good may not be such a good thing. It all depends on what you are going to use them for. I own two berry products and if they give me any problems like they say then I will never buy them again. But so far so good with them.

I own the Truths (Eventually got Events), and just heard the wharfedales last month, and can say without a doubt the wharfedales are better than the Truths. They were just better balanced (even with the smaller bass-driver). The Truths are too mid-rangey for me (However they kick-A@*, for tracking guitars, and they are LOUD). The Behringers are capable of occassionally revealing something I couldn't quite here properly on my TR-8XL's (Such as occassional snare hits). I attribute this to the crossovers, and the fact that 2-way speakers, tend to give you more "Holes" in the frequency reponse (usually right at the crossover frequency).

I owned a pair of TRUTH 2031As for all of a month, and I now feel obligated to tell anyone who asks to steer clear of them. I got them as a gift -- neat, right? Wrong! Soon as I plugged them in, I noticed there was a radio station coming through the tweeters. WTF? I did some troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that it was a problem with the monitors themselves, and not with my setup or room.

A few back-and-forth e-mails with Behringer tech support, I was informed that the TRUTHS don't have any RF shielding, and I was told that *I* would have to ship them to an authorized service center, and *I* would have to pay to have them 'fixed.' Brand new monitors that didn't work right directly out of the box. Right.

Now, the monitors themselves aren't all that bad (though from what I'm hearing the Wharfies are 10x better) -- the RF problem is supposedly pretty rare, and they really do get loud and they don't sound all that bad, plus the shaping controls are handy ... I was just EXTREMELY disappointed with the customer service and I'd advise anyone to steer clear of this particular brand.

Anyways I sent those pieces of junk back to AMS and picked me up a pair of Alesis M1 MkIIs instead. I probably would have gotten the Wharfdales, but there's no place around here that has them and I'm not about to buy monitors that I've never heard in person before. Plus I didn't want to mail order again -- it's too much of a hassle to ship big heavy monitors back if something is wrong with them.

Anyways, steer clear of Behri. :mad:

Back