Wharfedale 8.2a issues

kahuna

It Ain't Me, Babe
Hi, I have been busy getting my life back together so I have not posted here for a while.

I bought these monitors largely due to the fab reviews I read here from Wharfie fans. I returned a set of Alesis monitors and the guys at the music store special ordered a set of 8.2a's just for me and they have been a right headache since day 1.

Scratchy and crappy is what they sound like. I have played them through my G with and without my preamp hooked up and I have used them using a direct connection from my synth and the damned things make this horrible scratchy noise on certain sounds such as steel drums and electric piano.

I sent both back to the repair guys and the supplier here in Australia would not replace the parts unless the authorized repairer paid upfront for the parts so the repair guy sent them all the way across the country so the supplier could look at them. Two months later they return them to me sounding worse than ever and the paper tube and baffle assembly in the sound hole is not even attached and it is floating around like a damn pick in a guitar!

Anybody else have trouble with these well regarded monitors?

I don't crank up the volume any more than just over half way on the speaker backs and my levels through the G are not over peaking so I doubt it is a matter of blasting the crap out of them or anything.

The idea of sending them in for repair again (I live in the sticks) and waiting a few more months to get back my speakers in worse condition than when I sent them in is not exciting me too much. Maybe I should just return them to the shop I bought them from - 400 kilometres away - and get something else, if they are willing to accept them? But what do I get instead?

Frustrated again! :(

Hmm....

I've had mine for a few months now, and couldn't be happier. I too only run the volume on the back of the monitors up about 1/2 way.

Rick

WERNER 1 said:
Hmm....

I've had mine for a few months now, and couldn't be happier. I too only run the volume on the back of the monitors up about 1/2 way.

Rick

Lucky you! Wish I could say that.

kahuna said:
Scratchy and crappy is what they sound like. I have played them through my G with and without my preamp hooked up and I have used them using a direct connection from my synth and the damned things make this horrible scratchy noise on certain sounds such as steel drums and electric piano.

Well, I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass but, it sounds like you are trying to use them as amplifier speakers, which they are not. They are monitor speakers for mixing music. If you need an amplifier, get an amplifier.

scrubs said:
Well, I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass but, it sounds like you are trying to use them as amplifier speakers, which they are not. They are monitor speakers for mixing music. If you need an amplifier, get an amplifier.

Thanks for the tip, but I do use them for mixing. I also use them for checking my imputs and sound checks before I record my tracks.

What levels (not volume) are you sending out of the keyboard and preamp? I'd imagine you have a huge impedance mismatch when doing this and it could be a cause of alot of problems.

H2H

Back