wet or dry room

People prefer good looking, female blondes. The "wet" look would enhance this preference. "Dry" is, well, how can I say it, "dry".

I have done a lot of dampened room micing on drums. When I started working at a club that is an old movie theatre, with high ceilings, I have fallen in love with the "room" sound that can be achieved with placing the drums in the right part of the room and using distant micing techniques.....it is really amazing how much LESS reverb you use at mix time.

Small rooms create many problems on overhead mics with phase cancellation. You wind up having to cut a lot of midrange to low frequencies to alleviate this problem, which makes you depend on the close up mics that much more for the body of the drum sound. Close up micing tends to not sound as natural.

Good sounding ambient rooms are really the way to go.

Ed

I dig big open rooms. I have everything closed miced and a number of room mics. So when other people might reach for their favorite reverb, I'm pushing up a room mic fader. Yes I do need reverb but as Ed mentioned, very little. There is so much more that you can do with a couple of room mics.

Not only do I use less reverb, but the drums seem to "gel" together much better when the room mics are added in. I suppose another way to sort of simulate this effect is to run a submix of the drums to a distortion unit. I have been playing with that a bit lately, and while it does add a certain something, as of yet, it is not as cool as room mics are.

Ed

Normally a large rooom with high ceilings and wood floors can give a great live sound (using room mics to enhance the close mics - or in the right room, just using room mics).

The thing is, every room has it's own personality - harsh reflections, etc. So just because a room is large or just because there is natural reverb, it doesn't mean it will be a good sounding room.

Back