Werewolves of London

TaxMan88

Okay, so this thread may be a little out of place, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it. I thought about the Cave, but this is about recording, so here it will call home.

I was listening to the song "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon today and as soon as it came on I thought to myself "MAN, THIS SONG HAS A BUTTLOAD OF COMPRESSION ON IT."

My first thought about my reaction was "WOW! Going to Homerecording.com so much has REALLY made me notice things like this more."

My second thought was "Is that compression I'm hearing or is it just a good recording." The reason I thought there was a lot of compression on the song was that everything in the song is very loud and prominent. I can't really explain what made me think it was compression, but what I'm basically trying to ask is WAS I RIGHT?

Anyone (more than likely the pros on the board and the advanced members)who has a copy of this song . . . . pop it in and see if I was right. I know that some of you can tell heavy compression when you hear it, so help me out. Let me know if my ear is becoming trained to hear these things.

Now that I've gone back and read this thread, I've decided it's pretty silly, but reply anyway ;) It'll be interesting if nothing else.

--Tax :D

Actually that's not so easy to tell -- heavy compression done well can be difficult to detect in a mix... it's heavy compression done poorly that's easy to detect!!

I don't have a copy of the song, so I can't tell from listening to it...

Bruce

BTW -- tax, where are my Meyer HD-1s that George Martin told you to send???? I'm waiting!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

:D

Were you listening to the radio or a CD? Something else to consider, if it was radio, is FM stations use a lot of compression and the type and amount varies from staion to station.

CD

Track: I was listening to a CD at the time.

Bruce: George got back to me . . . said for me to tell you to stick your Meyers up your ($*@#!%. I kinda thought that seemed a bit harsh, but you know how it is . . . I ALWAYS trust ole Georgie. ;)

I'd like to meet his tailor.......NOT!

Actually, I would LOVE to have the guitar and amp setup from that recording. Incredible sound on that guitar with a knife edge to it that I just love. I always thought the song was kinda hokey when it was popular, but listening to it nowadays, it is a genuine work of art, especially recording-wise.
Another song that I can't get enough of is Donnie Iris's "Ah-Leah". That song just rocks out and the guitars and recording are impeccable, if I may say so. Listen a little closer next time you hear that one. Rock ON! bOb

Re: CD

TaxMan88 said:
Track: I was listening to a CD at the time.

Bruce: George got back to me . . . said for me to tell you to stick your Meyers up your ($*@#!%. I kinda thought that seemed a bit harsh, but you know how it is . . . I ALWAYS trust ole Georgie. ;)

Awww... he's just pissed 'cos back in '62 I bet him the Beatles were gonna be huge and he lost $100 bucks from me...

:D :D

heheheh when I came into this post I thought U guys were gonna be talkin about the London Werewolves baseball team.... hehehehe whooops =)

Sabith

Back