well that was a f***in' disaster.

so my 2 spare 603s are now junk. i have no idea what the hell went wrong, but i did the 3-cap mod to both of them, and one of them now has some crazy oscillating whistle going on in the background and the other one is completely toasted.

oh well, live and learn. this is the first--and the last--time i try to mod anything.

thanks to antichef for sending me those caps--it was super-cool of you to do it. i wish i could post a success story as a result of your generosity. :(

ok, so i couldn't help myself. i opened them back up, pushed some wires even further from the enclosure than before, and now the one that was crackling is working! woohoo!

on the "oscillating" one, i took it apart, checked all connections and caps with a meter (all ok), moved some wires, put it back together, and now the whistle is gone but i'm getting a rumble/scratchy thing going on continuously! wtf???

so i'm just gonna keep messing with this damn thing.

well i think i finally found the culprit. apparently the 1nF input cap got blown as i was working on the damn thing. i've been messing with this damn mic for 3 days now, and when 100 different "fixes" on the 1 uF caps didn't help any with the rumble/static, i took off the 1 nF and tested it--it's indicating infinite uF. :confused: that was the one cap that went in without a hitch. go figure.

so now i need to buy one damn capacitor. what a frigging pita.

D'OH!
I'm with ya man. Seems like my smallest projects that should be a breeze end up suckin the life out of me before I git er done.
Sorry bout yer grief man.
Sometimes with shit like this, I'll shelve the project for a couple hours or maybe a couple days. Kinda depends on how much it pissed me off. :D

You got a guesstimate on how much of an improvement this is supposed to be?
Hopefully worth the aggravation.

I'll tip a beer to you and your mod-completed-fully-functioning mics pal. ;)

Does the one you got to work sound better then before the mod? If so is it a noticeable gain? Just curious.

from what i can tell from the minimal testing i've done so far, it does sound smoother, and the high/low end disparity is better balanced. the output is significantly decreased, but i think that's because the new caps reduce the highs rather than boost the lows (i'm not even sure it's possible to "boost" any freqs in this application).

but the true test is gonna be when i have an operating pair, since i'm using them as OHs and i did a pre-mod drum track. i'm dying to get a post-mod track down so i can fairly compare the before/after.

Please post the tracks when your done. I'm eager to hear the difference. I listened to a few of your tracks today while doing some housework and love the tunes. You guys rock.

Did I include a segment of shrinkwrap? That's for insulating the leads to the 1u caps (even if you don't "shrink" it) so they don't ground out on the sleeve.

Did I include a segment of shrinkwrap? That's for insulating the leads to the 1u caps (even if you don't "shrink" it) so they don't ground out on the sleeve.

yeah, but it took me awhile to figure out what it was for. since this was my first mod it never occurred to me that i'd have to position the caps significantly differently to fit in the housing. after soldering umpteen times, i made it work, insulation and all. thanks again man, you're the coolest member evar!!!!

Please post the tracks when your done. I'm eager to hear the difference. I listened to a few of your tracks today while doing some housework and love the tunes. You guys rock.

will do. :)

edit: lol @ "you guys." it's just me homes. somehow that makes the compliment even higher! :D

Your doin' everything? Dude you freakin' rock. I have a hard enough time playing my drums and keeping time let alone being able to play any other instruments.

Back