Well just another ? but about mixing pre mastering

nonreversebird

Ok I think I know where I need to fix some things. Tell me this. Should I Normalize individual tracks (ex. Vocals) so that they work out in the final mix.
Should you ever Normalize tracks for the final mix. I use Cakewalk. So on some of my tracks I Normalize so that instrument stands out and then I bump the velocity to get more loudness. I have a feeling this is what might cause me problems in a mastering situation. Is this the case? Should you on all tracks have them significantly lower in gain so they can be played around with later during mastering?

My rule of thumb is to never PEAK higher than -6dBfs at any time until the mastering stage. Not on individual tracks, not on mixes. The only time I EVER normalize tracks are for dance competition tracks (where the resulting quantization noise doesn't make a difference, but 10th's of a dB does).

Get decent levels - not hot levels. Work in 24-bit and go to town.

Hi Massive Master I took your advise and I am currently working on a song and resetting levels on some tracks and then someone else suggested I reduce the mids which I am doing on my rythmn guitar tracks and upping the bass and it already is sounding much better. I also but some delay only on one side of the lead guitar stereo track which seems to add a little more fullness. thanks for your help.

Suggestion was reduce the lower mids, around 200-250 Hz and potentially use this area for bass guitar. May also want to check out the area around 100-140 Hz another area where bass and guitars compete and cause mud.

The mids are where the guitars should shine.

Back