Well I really need help.

PetalforPetal

Hey guys, im new on the site, and i just had a few questions about microphones and home equipment..
I make music, i do covers, and i have my own stuff and i write.
i listen to artists like, Chase Coy, The Scene Aesthetic, Jamestown Story, Dashboard Confessional, etc..
I'm trying to make some music in my room/apartment.. it's only me, and i need a great sounding mic that has a high quality, good sounding for acoustic and vocals. if you listen to chase coy, thats the type of thing im talking about exactly,
but i think i already have the acoustic part covered. i was looking at a Tascam US-144, but i need a good mic, that comes with usb cables and the cables to hook up to the US-144..
Im not retarded i just need to know cause i dont know alot about home equipment, none to be exact.

i was looking at a Tascam US-144, but i need a good mic, that comes with usb cables and the cables to hook up to the US-144..
Im not retarded i just need to know cause i dont know alot about home equipment, none to be exact.

You need a good mike, but not one with USB.

If you don't know much about homerecording, you are therefore just starting out on this adventure. Go down to your music store, have a look around and see what they suggest. Just about anything will do. Look at Shure, AKG and similar.

The Tascam US144 is a USB-based computer interface. It has 2 XLR inputs with phantom power. This means you can plug any real mic you want into it with a standard XLR-XLR mic cable. You need a USB cable to plug it into a computer. These are not items that usually come with a mic, you buy them separately. The question is, what kind of mic? Generally, there are dynamic mics , ribbon mics, (which is a specialized sub-category of dynamic mic), condenser mics, tube (valve) mics, which are a subcategory of condenser mics, and crystal mics, which are usually used for CB and short-wave radios, not recording.
Dynamic mics run from $20 to more like $700. Condenser mics, including tube mics, run from about $80 to *thousands* of dollars. Ribbon mics generally only come in 2 versions- cheap $100 or-so Chinese mics, and $600-$1000+. The hard part is that there is no mic so good that it can't make somebody sound awful, and there is no mic so bad that it doesn't make somebody sound good. They are like shoes- they either fit, or they don't. All that anyone can do is recommend mics that make *somebody* sound good, that are in your general price range. So tell us what your general price range is, and we'll recommend mics in that price range that make somebody sound good. There is, of course, no guarantee that they will make *you* sound good. That is the general pain in the ass of vocal mics.-Richie

Back