Well, I just Bought One!

what exactly is that?. Can you give a good description
I know it is a soundcard or hard disk recorder or maybe it is not. whatever it is you are excited!!

Just a Pro Workstation

16 track tru 24-bit, onboard FX processing, automated mixing, onboard stereo mastering, and sampling.

High-capicity internal hard drive, internal CD recorder, SCSI interface.

As a digital mixer, has full 32-bit DSP capabilities, has motorized faders with automation/snapshot capability. 44 inputs include 8 analog, 16 digital and optional interface cards, 4-band full para EQ, direct out assignment and.......a telescoping fishing pole, a Swiss Army knife, and a toaster!

Who needs a wife??? (LOL!)

Take My Wife.........please!

I remember she asked me one night, "let's make love someplace strange, someplace where I've never been. I replied, "how about the kitchen??"

LOL!

Yeah but...

Say, N.S.-- how would you think this workstation compares to a computer, say a G4 with some software-- i.e. Performer, Logic, etc.? I heard from Sam Ash reps (not that I necessarily believe them) is that the only real advantage of a workstation is mobility, otherwise a computer is better for studio work. I myself am going back and forth between getting one or the other. I see advantages of the workstation is a) real knobs and sliders and b) less distractions --i.e. configuration issues, other software, booting, rebooting etc. c) cheaper and d) all in all, more time devoted to music and less to technology. Whereas on the other hand I understand the computer allows more features, better sound and greater editing flexiblity.
Comments?

Jerry, I was gonna go the G4/Paris route but it was too much $$. I too thought the 4416 had "too many" things in one unit but I've been very pleased since day one. And everyday, I learn about a new function. Yes, I love faders and the 4416 has motorized faders with automated mix and recording. It memorizes your mix and your recording/monitor levels. So, you can go back and forth between playback and recording and don't have to mess with the faders at all!

I come from a songerwriters background so I really appreciate the fact that the 4416 is relatively easy to use. It has all the advantages of PC recording without the crashes and the headaches. I was blown away with the sound of the 4416. Sonically, it can't be beat.

It's for sale with internal CD Burner for less that $3300. It wasn't too long ago that 8-trk ADATS were $3500.

Go for it. If you need a good group to read go to:

http://www.egroups.com and join the 4416 group.

Late. NS

Congrats on your purchase.

I took a look at the (pre-release) specs on the unit but wound up just upgrading a PC I already had and using Cakewalk software. Yes, moving faders with a mouse seems a bit strange (although I have a mixer also, I use automated software mixing when mixing down). I think a PC wins on flexability, upgradability, and price. A unit like the Yamaha is a great choice if it does exactly what you want now and you dont anticipate the need to upgrade. And although my PC almost never crashes, I am sure the Yamaha wins in that regard too. Glad to hear that it matches its hype.

Best of luck!

Should've Bought the 4416!

Top musicians and engineers are using the 4416 to a very high degree of product. Good luck with your PC, although having to patch in to your soundcard doesn't offer a high degree of sonic foundry. NS

I'll take a PC!

I think Nuendo and a good card like the upcoming Aardvark q32 would blow away the 4416. Over 100 tracks with 5.1 mix down. The 4416 may be used by producers, but Nuendo is being used to score films. If you are going to spend $2500 bucks why settle? Also, the 4416 can't read this newsgroup.
PC's are infinitely modular and expandable.
-WES

Different Strokes.....

both platforms are good. depends on your needs and prefences. personally, i hate using a mouse to record, and i love using "all" my fingers for commands.

i tried Pro Tools and other PC-based programs but it wasn't for me. hey, if it gets the job done for you, it works!

the 4416 is brand new and you'll be hearing about it for years to come. i'm recording a local symphony tonight and "love" the 4416 being so portable. how'd you bring a PC to do a remote?? :)

NS

What's up N.S. :)

Congratulations on your new piece.

I feel that the best route to go when it comes to a choosing a workstation or a computer..........the computer wins hands down.

And if it's knobs and faders you need/want, then you can purchase an interface from Tascam, Digidesign, or Automan, etc.

The computer is infinitely more versatile.

:)

SPIN

P.S. and for a "remote" you could use a top of the line Sony laptop with a digital IN and an Expander package.

PC Remote?

Expander package, top of the line Sony etc now you're up to around $10K. Hey, you wanna do a comparison? One of my tunes vs one of yours? Let's get some judges together and do a "listening" test. OK??? NS

Hey dude or girl, you need to relax.

You can use a laptop for a remote (granted the laptop and expander is going to hit you for $4,500.00, but it proves the point of mobile recording!)

Now, I don't know if your last statement was geared toward me.

But....., my music and production will smoke the pants off of your SHIT!

I have songs out all over the planet (Paris, London, Ibiza, Frankfort, etc.).

So, you need to watch WHO the FUCK you are stepping to!

I'VE SOLD MILLIONS OF RECORDS!

SO, SLOW YOUR ROLL, (that is slang for "relax").

YOU BITCH ASS MUTHAFUCKA! (motherfucker)

..................Deep Breath...................

OK, I needed to relax.

I was just trying to convey to you was that it is possible to do a remote with a PC.

...................AND....................

Congratulations, on your new piece of hardware.

Aurevoir

SPIN

There goes the neighborhood. Like Bozo the clown would say, "whoa nelly, we don't say things like that on our show!"

Sorry about my last post N.S. (and everybody else viewing this post).

It (the post) was definitely negative and abrasive.

Once again, sorry.............

SPIN

Back