Well, I finally got myself and Electro Acoustic

memo

After spending the last weekend at the local music shop district; I finally decided and bought a Yamaha APX-4a Electro-Acoustic guitar in Translucent Blue (2nd lowest in the APX line). It has a Spruce top (not solid unfortunately), nato (what kind of wood is that?) back sides and neck, indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge. It has a piezo pickup with a 3-band EQ with an adjustable mid-range freq.

I looked around at various models (Ovation, Epiphone, no-name, Fender). Most of the Ovations and Epiphones I liked were way out of my range so I was only able to drool over them. I didn't particulary like the Applause series by Ovation, they seemed poorly manufactured and they didn't sound that good either. That was the same case with some of the no-name Ovation copies I played. I was able to play all the guitars through the same Yamaha bass amp, so that gave me a good chance to compare the guitars at an equal level.

The Yamaha sounds half-decent acoustically (although the low and high E strings sound a bit funny). Once plugged in, with a little work on the onboard EQ (boosting the bass, cutting the mid and slightly boosting the highs) it doesn't sound bad at all. I'll try to post some sound bytes if anyone is interested.

I do miss my Martin but I'm much happier with my Yamaha right now. It's a very comfortable guitar and sounds quite good compared to it's price and what it's made out of. The store counted my Martin for $200 (normally $360) and by adding another $200 on top of it, I was able to get the Yamaha.

So, no regrets for me

PS: If you think that the prices are funny or think that I was screwed; please take into consideration that I live in Turkey and things are quite a bit more expensive here.

http://www.yamahaguitars.com/acoustic/apx4a_frame.html

You traded in a Martin and gave them an extra $200 for a friggin plywood-topped Yamaha?!!! Sorry, but there's something wrong here.

Yeah, dude. You could have sent me your martin and I could have sent you back any fucking epiphone you wanted. That was dumb.

sorry, man.

xoxoxo

You guys really do need to "ACTUALY" live in Turkey....

Sorry guys but I wasn't rich enough to pay another $600 for the cheapest Epiphone or Gibson model. If you have the money, you can get me one.

And I wasn't about to order something online since then I wouldn't be able to trade my Martin, besides ever calculate the shipping?

And did I mention that my Martin was a DM-4, not that top of the line after all.

So what? I did trade my Martin for a friggin plywood topped Yamaha. And I like it!

Whats a DM-4? One of my guitars is a DM and I really like it. I think we're just saying that you should have gotten alot more for your Martin than they gave you.
But if you're happy with the Yamaha, then thats good.
Epi's are like $200 bucks here, so I DO feel bad for you.

The Martin DM's are just a lower line of Acoustic guitars produced by Martin. They sound quite decent and are not that expensive.

The DM-4 normally sells for $360 here, since it was used, the store counted it for about $200. And adding another $200 got me the Yamaha. I don't know, it seems quite normal to me...

Back