Well i FINALLY did it folks!! After all these years...

MessianicDreams

I finally purchased a Mac computer. YEUP! Delivered today where my 19" Samsung TFT and my brand-spanking new MacMini :D

WOW is it weird trying to get to grips with a new OS. I've used Macs loads before, but just to run PT so I've never really had to "go into" the computer if you see what I mean. All rather scary...but...frickin' awesome :D

I feel like a kid on christmas day.

I'm going to try and install Boot Camp and put XP on it just for shits and giggles, but BC tells me I need to update my OS..after 10mins of searching i finally found the "software update" button.

and boy it's weird getting used to this keyboard!

and now...back to yer scheduled program...

Just got a MacBook last week... I tell ya, after messing with it for less than an hour, Windows felt rather "clunky" by comparison...

I'm a proud owner of the following Macintosh Computers;

iBook G4 1.42g
PowerMac G4 Cube noGhz (still in pieces..)
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 (!!!!)

past owner of
iMac G5 2.0

i love macs. i really do. winblows is clunky in comparison to the traffic flow in a retirement center.

CONGRATS! and welcome to the club!

TragikRemix said:
I'm a proud owner of the following Macintosh Computers;

iBook G4 1.42g
PowerMac G4 Cube noGhz (still in pieces..)
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 (!!!!)

past owner of
iMac G5 2.0

i love macs. i really do. winblows is clunky in comparison to the traffic flow in a retirement center.

CONGRATS! and welcome to the club!

Wow- just when I thought you and I would never have anything we agreed on, the mighty Mac saves the day! Peace. :D :D
iMac G3, 1.8 G5 PPC, MacBook Pro- Love em all!

Sweet...I'm trying to get a MacBook soon. I'm really looking forward to ditching Windows and it's buggy software.

Yareek said:
...I'm really looking forward to ditching Windows and it's buggy software.

:rolleyes:

I've been running Windows XP Pro on my PC - last install about 1 1/2 years now and no show stopping issues. I regularly record using Sonar 6 Producer, and it works like a charm.

I'm certainly not looking for yet another PC vs. Mac thread, but I'm sick of seeing the "Windows, buggy, blah, blah, blah" stuff just for the sake of saying it.

I'm NOT anti-Mac either, I just know of plenty of people that are running Windows without pissing and moaning and saying "I can't wait to switch because it's buggy - boo, hoo, hoo". If you take care of your system, you can have a happy co-existence with it. I know that Mac's are less finicky, but as long as I can run Sonar 6 and record my music, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
I hear ya, and I've been a PC user forever and worked for Geek Squad, built PC's from the ground up, and love them, but I was having troubles with Sonar 5, crashing constantly with Sonar 6, screw it. I don't hate PC's by any stretch...I'm just looking forward to something different.

Yareek said:
I hear ya, and I've been a PC user forever and worked for Geek Squad, built PC's from the ground up, and love them, but I was having troubles with Sonar 5, crashing constantly with Sonar 6, screw it. I don't hate PC's by any stretch...I'm just looking forward to something different.
So I take it you're going to change hosts also?

I'm also on XP for years with no issues,using SONAR 6.

well i have to say i've had more than my fair share of issues with Windows-based computers. so i'm looking forward to not having to deal constantly with a flow of problems - which is pretty much what i've been experiencing lately.

Don't get me wrong - I really like XP. I just wish i could get it to work as seemlessly as some of you cats are doing.

either way, i've got my mac now and i'm dead chuffed :)

MessianicDreams said:
well i have to say i've had more than my fair share of issues with Windows-based computers. so i'm looking forward to not having to deal constantly with a flow of problems - which is pretty much what i've been experiencing lately.

Don't get me wrong - I really like XP. I just wish i could get it to work as seemlessly as some of you cats are doing.

either way, i've got my mac now and i'm dead chuffed :)

You did it right! ;)

Yareek said:

Not intended as a personal attack to you (because I really don't know you), but Geek Squad is a ripoff IMO. It's not always the people that work there, but Besy Buy pricing and policies. I'm happy with that though because I've had people call me saying "I heard about you from so-and-so, and I'm having PC issues". After talking to them, a few of them said "I went to the Geek Squad, but it's still not working right". I'm not looking for a fight here, just stating truths and my appreciation that I was able to gain good clients who trust my work over any Geek Squader.

What software do you plan to use when you switch to Mac? Not Sonar. ;)

warble2 said:
Not intended as a personal attack to you (because I really don't know you), but Geek Squad is a ripoff IMO. It's not always the people that work there, but Besy Buy pricing and policies. I'm happy with that though because I've had people call me saying "I heard about you from so-and-so, and I'm having PC issues". After talking to them, a few of them said "I went to the Geek Squad, but it's still not working right". I'm not looking for a fight here, just stating truths and my appreciation that I was able to gain good clients who trust my work over any Geek Squader.

What software do you plan to use when you switch to Mac? Not Sonar. ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Geek Squad is only as good as the people who work there. I'm from Minneapolis, where the Geek Squad was started years before Best Buy bought them. Minneapolis is also where Best Buy was started and the corporate office is a mile from my house. So all the latest and greatest prototypes and the highest level of control is implemented here...and as a result we were able to hire more techie people than high school kids looking for jobs.

Also, management plays a big role. Good managers should realize that the customer is first and to not try and rip them off. Bad managers only care about money and running computers through. I've worked for both, and with good management, quality of employees and quality of work is immensely better than with bad management.

Of course, it's retail so the managers who move the most product are rewarded, so quality of employee and their work tends to go down, giving the company a bad name. And yeah I'd say 9 out of 10 Best Buys have crappy service.

Anyways, I'm still torn between Logic Express and Digital Performer. I'll probably end up with the former because of the free demo and cheaper price, but until I can save the cash I'll do the Boot Camp thing with Sonar and see how that runs. I'm not planning on tracking anything, just trying to do some mixes and learn the interface. I'd like to get more into virtual instruments and loops, so it should be interesting.

Back