well connected

rathpy

1. XLR connectors lock in place and are less susceptible to noisy clicks (than TRS’s) when they are disturbed, right? Why then are patch panels made up of TRS?

2. Should one pay 6-12 times the price for brand-name cables?

... Eg. for a 2-foot patch cable I have the following options at a pro audio store:
(a) Buy a packet of six (6)! (non-Neutrik brand) cables for $15aud. ($2.50each)
(b) Buy one (1) ready-made Neutrik brand cable for $34aud.
(c) Make my own cables out of quality components for $12aud each (Note: after investing $200aud in up-front soldering equipment).

What would you do?

3. Patch Panels - If you recommend Neutrik connectors then you’d also recommend their patch panels wouldn’t you? Very expensive! 3-6 times the price of something like the Behinger Ultrapatch Pro PX2000.

Is it worth it? Do you have particular suggestions for a patch bay?

I’m choking at the costs of some of the expensive connection equipment. I can’t afford throw streams of money at this stuff. Not being a professional, studio down-time is not as critical. But then, I admit I don’t really want hassles of dealing with heaps of faults either, or loud cracks going through my nice gear and speakers.

But if I treat my gear well, is it possible to use reasonable lower-priced connection equipment and work happily? Or is all but the best nothing but false economy? ' Looking for guidelines of what to expect.

Regards,
rathpy

A patchbay is a patchbay, the cheaper ones will probly get wiggly and crackle before the better quality units.

Just remember that you only need one substandard link in your audio chain to get a substandard sound. Always look at the best you can afford and then stretch to one step further. (My rule for buying gear :D )
Mark

Back