"Welcome to 1979" (ANALOG TAPE) Recording Studio in Nashville.

homestudioguy

I attended a 3 day Recording Workshop "Summit" last November in Nashville at the "Welcome to 1979" Recording Studio.
It was really great and Chris and Yoli Mara, the owners, were excellent hosts.

The Panelists included people who have worked with Led Zepplin, R.E.M. War, Allison Krauss, Willie Nelson, Tammy Wynette, Lyle Lovett, Tina Turner, Kings of Leon, Rod Stewart, Kevin Eubanks, Steve Earle and others.

They work almost entirely with Analog Tape and sell Analog Multi-Track Tape machines as well.
In fact, they just had a 3 day "Tape Camp" workshop in Nashville and have 2 more tentatively planned for 2012.

Here is the link! www.welcometo1979.com
BG

Wow thats awesome... I wonder if they still do analogue recordings now... Thier site looks awesome :)

I’ll be attending the February Tape Camp!! So excited!! I’ll post a report when I’m back from that!

Amazing !

Old school always the best !!!
:guitar:
I've got an old VHS recorder, lots of VHS tapes, and even a 27" Sony CRT TV I'll sell you. Definitely "old school". Who wants that digitally manipulated video stuff anyway. It's too crisp and clean looking. You can even go "lo-fi" by recording at the 6 hour speed!

I've got an old VHS recorder, lots of VHS tapes, and even a 27" Sony CRT TV I'll sell you. Definitely "old school". Who wants that digitally manipulated video stuff anyway. It's too crisp and clean looking. You can even go "lo-fi" by recording at the 6 hour speed!
Thanks for offer,
but it was about pro audio old school ..

VHS with quality Stereo HD option was not so bad for various "purposes"..
so much better than 90-120 minutes audio tape cassettes

frequently used as long time background music player on various shops
like supermarkets , shopping centres , bars , waiting rooms , etc..

more sound quality , and less tech issues ...
cheers

So, just done with the Feb 22 session of Tape Camp at Welcome to 1979. Great session, a lot of learning/re-learning and meeting of minds. I think my expectation was that it would be a bunch of gear head know-it-alls and above my head but it really was way more down to earth. Every participant, mix of men and women, young and old, experienced and total novices, added a different perspective of how they were intending to use the knowledge gained during the session.

On the downside:
It was a little loosely planned and organized. The owner made several comments that it was intended but I really kinda felt it was just laziness.
There were no handouts or take-aways. As a 27+ year veteran in marketing/advertising, and as a graphic artist, I would have expected something planned and printed to take with us for the money they are asking us to pay… on top of hotel and air.
There were a few moments I felt some push back from the instructor/owner, Chris Mara, for those of us with some prior experience. And quite rudely sometimes. I get it, it’s HIS class/workshop, but his attitude took away from the experience quite a bit, to pay this much for something like this that was poorly planned and then to get shunned at times by him. At one point, he just point blank told me that the equipment I own (Tascam M-520, Tascam MS-16) was shit no matter what condition it was in and that I’d only have headaches unless I owned one of his precious machines. Go Figure! That said, I really enjoyed the other attendees with prior experience and their thoughts on the matters at hand. They also suffered his wrath. So, I figured pretty quick to just keep my mouth shut unless it pertained to what was being discussed.

On the upside:
They have a great place with lots of cool vibe. It’s not polished, its actually rather dusty! There were many times I thought I was in my the old studio from 76 that I worked at in the 90s!! he got lucky with his space, it just sounds good for recording with very little sound modifiers. I walked away with a lot of thoughts that will save me money by waiting until I hear my space and then making my own bass traps, diffusers, etc.
At the end of it all, I learned and I enjoyed myself a LOT!

They are much more than just tape recording. He embraces the full aspects of recording… everything goes to ProTools eventually.
But they have the whole record lathe, electroplating and stamper creation there on site. They win grammys for their mastering abilities and they transfer just about any tape format to digital.

If you go to one of these, you will enjoy yourself. You will learn some things (as long as you’re not a currently working analog recording engineer). The record part was fascinating but I wasn’t really that interested in it. it took up a lot of time that I’d rather have been talking about analog recording techniques, gear set up, and more.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's tough to put on a program like that for the full gamut from novice to old experienced users. For sure having some type of handouts would be good. Considering they do this several times a year, one would think the materials would have already been created. I would have been interested in the lathe/electroplating setup. I would probably been asking a lot of questions about their mastering philosophies as well.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm sure it's tough to put on a program like that for the full gamut from novice to old experienced users. For sure having some type of handouts would be good. Considering they do this several times a year, one would think the materials would have already been created. I would have been interested in the lathe/electroplating setup. I would probably been asking a lot of questions about their mastering philosophies as well.

Glad you enjoyed it!
You would have enjoyed the extra portion I didn't attend saturday night called "Lathe" night that also delved into their mastering process. It was run by the two people that do that work there.

All in all, really awesome people and place and I was super happy to have the opportunity to attend!

Also, I get that it's hard to put on something like this that does everything for everyone... that's just impossible. I told him it would be awesome if he considered doing a "Part 2" or Tape Camp 2.0 for those that have attended before that goes even further into the process. For $550 (for the whole shebang) it's really not asking too much. I could have flown cheaper, and I'll find a better, less expensive place to stay next time. Even better if I could find friends that wanted to go and share the costs. It's only an 8.5 hr drive for me, next time, it's what I'll consider.

Thanks very much for the review and information. I was thinking about going to the camp you attended, but money got a little tight.

Thanks very much for the review and information. I was thinking about going to the camp you attended, but money got a little tight.
You’re welcome. I totally understand about the $$ and in the past probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on something like this but we had a pretty good year last year and it’s been many many years since I took an educational trip, sans wife, for my hobby. As I said, I learned a lot, but I also spent a lot of $$ on hotel, travel and food. If I had been pressed for dough, I wouldn’t have done this indulgence. AND, really at the end of the day, most of this information can be learned online in many separate places… although sometimes not as concise or accurate as a working professional that actually runs a studio business can inform you, that’s really where Tape Camp shines.

Back