Weird signal recognition problem

Garry Sharp

Lost Cause
I use Cubase SE and an EMU 0404 card. All works great (by my standards anyhow;))

Yesterday I bought a new pre (an SPL Goldmike) that has both 1/4" and XLR outputs. I also got an XLR to 1/4" TS adapter cable, thinking I would use the XLR out.

When I did this, the soundcard picked up the signal fine (I monitor direct off the card). But when I armed a Cubase audio track for recording, it didn't "see" the signal. When I switched to using a plain 1/4" lead off the pre, it recorded fine, so there are no issues with the 0404's settings, it seems. Is there something about how the XLR / 1/4" cable would be wired that means that though the soundcard recognises the signal, Cubase doesn't? Very strange.

It doesn't really matter because the EMU's inputs are unbalanced anyway, I am not losing anything by using the straight 1/4" out from the pre, I just wondered....

Is there any way you could check to see if the XLR outs on the Pre are working (XLR out to XLR in on a mixer for example). You never know, you might have a faulty unit???

They were working because the soundcard picked up the signal quite happily, I heard it through my monitors and saw the levels on the EMU control panel. Just Cubase didn't get it.

Well, provided you plugged both sets of cables into the same physical inputs on your Emu and got signals in your hardware both times, I'm stumped!?!?!? You did use the same inputs both times right???

Yes, I did. Strange isn't it? And when I used the XLR DI out from my bass amp in the same way - it recorded perfectly!!

Did you try it again to see if it happened again?

Start with the cable that worked, put it in record and record for a little bit. Then, while still recording, change the cable out and continue to play. If it still doesn't recognize the one cable, your system is haunted. Call a priest.

Farview said:
Did you try it again to see if it happened again?

Start with the cable that worked, put it in record and record for a little bit. Then, while still recording, change the cable out and continue to play. If it still doesn't recognize the one cable, your system is haunted. Call a priest.
And if he is using that same computer to post these questions, our computers may become possessed as well. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! :D

Well I am sorry Farview and Atterion - you are both doomed ;) Possessed it is. Anyway, I just got a good vocal take off the 1/4" so I don't care anymore....

Now, how can I get this ghost to find the "make it sound great" button....

Back