weird recording problem...

callmecars

I don't know if any of you encountered this before... especially since my setup is pretty ghetto, since everything is handed down from my father. I have a Shure SM58, Shure SH-200, and a Sakura AV-733 amplifier

so what happens is, no matter what recording software I use, whenever I try to record a consistent sounds (for example a hymn or a single guitar pluck), the recording will "disintegrate" after about 4-5 seconds, like even while recording live I'll see the charts (or whatever you guys call it) suddenly drop at the 4-5 second mark... I'd describe the "disintegrated" sound as an underwater recording or inside a tin can but very faint. this happens no matter which of the two microphones I use.

one guess I have that causes this is the fact that my amplifier is really a karaoke mixing amplifier (since it was just passed down)

I hope somebody here has a solution for me that doesn't require buying a new amplifier... I'm really not that rich

More info, please. I assume you are talking about recording on a computer, correct? We need to know at the minimum the OS, memory installed and processor. Are you using a proper audio interface or are you connecting a conventional sound card? Most likely this is a software issue and has nothing to do with the hardware, at least not the mic and preamp.

hmm thanks, I didn't really know what else I needed to say but let me see here...

yes I am recording on a computer, so I've got Windows 8.1 Pro for OS, 8GB of RAM for memory, and an Intel 4790k for my CPU.

what do you mean a proper audio interface? I just use a male RCA cable from the amplifier to a male auxiliary to the rear microphone input of my PC.

I've tried on 3 recording software already. namely Audacity, Adobe Audition, and Mixcraft

A "proper" interface is designed to solve the common problems recordists would face if they had to use the kind of sound card computers come with. A typical smaller interface would have XLR and 1/4" inputs, 1/4" line outs, 1/8" or 1/4" headphone jack, AD and DA conversion, low- or zero-latency input monitoring, basic input/playback mixing and USB connection all in one box. Usually they come with their own drivers that offer better performance and more features than stock sound cards.

But before you get into that try optimizing your computer for recording. Lots of things can interfere with recording. Wireless network cards are notorious for doing that. There should be a sticky somewhere in the Newbies section that covers optimization.

A "proper" interface is designed to solve the common problems recordists would face if they had to use the kind of sound card computers come with. A typical smaller interface would have XLR and 1/4" inputs, 1/4" line outs, 1/8" or 1/4" headphone jack, AD and DA conversion, low- or zero-latency input monitoring, basic input/playback mixing and USB connection all in one box. Usually they come with their own drivers that offer better performance and more features than stock sound cards.

But before you get into that try optimizing your computer for recording. Lots of things can interfere with recording. Wireless network cards are notorious for doing that. There should be a sticky somewhere in the Newbies section that covers optimization.

thanks, I'll go check on that. but as far as wireless stuff go, my motherboard doesn't have any wifi cards or bluetooth capabilities, although I did install an external bluetooth dongle

I couldnt find anything on the amplifier you mention with a web search.

You shouldnt even need an amplifier for what you are trying to do. A cable that mates with the microphone at one end and the other end mates with your computers mic in.

Im a MAC guy myself, but I see on here a ton of times the recommendation to go into your setting for audio and reduce the input considerably from the default 100%

You need a sound card designed for recording audio, not the thing that comes with the computer. That's your problem. You don't, or shouldn't, need that amp. Your set up is really mickey mouse, and if you want to get half way serious about what you are doing, shop around for, say, a USB outboard interface. Something like the Focusrite Scarlett series, for instance. The smaller one in that series is inexpensive. Sell the karaoke amp.

I did find some information on that amplifier and it looks to be quite a decent bit of kit. I assume it is the centre of your home music system and as such you cannot simply get shot of it?

I would take the computer's soundcard completely out of the equation. If money is REALLY tight buy a Behringer UCA202/222 interface, around $30 US. This takes RCA inputs and outputs and connects to the PC via USB. It uses generic USB sound drivers so there should be no problems there (tho you can use ASIO4ALL ) .

Of course a full blown Audio Interface would be better and IMHO there are better value ones than the Focusrites. The Steinberg UR22 for starters.

With weird kit like that I suspect you are not in UK?

Dave.

I did find some information on that amplifier and it looks to be quite a decent bit of kit. I assume it is the centre of your home music system and as such you cannot simply get shot of it?

I would take the computer's soundcard completely out of the equation. If money is REALLY tight buy a Behringer UCA202/222 interface, around $30 US. This takes RCA inputs and outputs and connects to the PC via USB. It uses generic USB sound drivers so there should be no problems there (tho you can use ASIO4ALL ) .

Of course a full blown Audio Interface would be better and IMHO there are better value ones than the Focusrites. The Steinberg UR22 for starters.

With weird kit like that I suspect you are not in UK?

Dave.

thanks haha

I'll check around for what I can buy, but right now I really don't have the luxury of buying anything so I only rely on hand-me-downs, and I'm guessing the equipment I have won't sell for much since they're old and very used.

and yeah I'm not from the UK, I'm actually from the Philippines. cheers :D

Back