weird rattling?

gibsonguy09

My 1966 gibson es 125tdc is making a weird noise. It is coming from inside of the hollow part of the gutiar. It isn't the strings hitting the neck like i thought it was in the beggining. It does it when its not plugged in. it sounds like something is rattling against something. Thanks for the help
-Eric

This is a very serious case. It may be cured if you take the Gibson '66 to your local priest and let the guitar confess all its sins up to now.

Should be rattlefree after that :D

You should take it to a reputable luthier and have it set up.

And definitely NOT GUITAR CENTER!!!!

gibsonguy09 said:
My 1966 gibson es 125tdc is making a weird noise. It is coming from inside of the hollow part of the gutiar. It isn't the strings hitting the neck like i thought it was in the beggining. It does it when its not plugged in. it sounds like something is rattling against something. Thanks for the help
-Eric

Check the easy stuff first. Since sound travels in wood faster than in air, where a rattle sounds like it is coming from may not be where it really is happening. Check for loose screws all over the guitar; strap button screws are common culprits for this. If your tuners have screwon knobs, that's another common one, and the rattle from a loose tuner screw can sound as if it is happening in the body of the guitar, especially in a hollow body design.

I had a similar problem with my Epi SG (covered Humbuckers) I couldn't find where the damn noise was coming from. I removed the pickup and noticed the springs that surround the screws on both sides of the PU's (to adjust height) vibrated when I stummed or picked certain notes. I moved the spings around and settled them in another position. Problem solved, no more buzzy rattle.

I hope this helps :)

I figured it out. It was the pickguard rattling against the P-90's. I put felt betweent the pickups adn the pick guard.

gibsonguy09 said:
I figured it out. It was the pickguard rattling against the P-90's. I put felt betweent the pickups adn the pick guard.

Don't ya love it when a prob turns out to be something simple and cheap to fix?

ggunn said:
Don't ya love it when a prob turns out to be something simple and cheap to fix?

That sucks...... I ficed th e pickguard and it worked for a little bit then a rattling started from the inside! Any ideas?

Take it to a pro, top notch tech. Those kinda guys don't work at Guitar Center.

etnoziroh said:
I had a similar problem with my Epi SG (covered Humbuckers) I couldn't find where the damn noise was coming from. I removed the pickup and noticed the springs that surround the screws on both sides of the PU's (to adjust height) vibrated when I stummed or picked certain notes. I moved the spings around and settled them in another position. Problem solved, no more buzzy rattle.

I hope this helps :)

Could be this.

It could be that the plastic things that go around the pickups are loose. I had that problem with my hollowbody electric Ibanez. I thought at first it was a brace inside that wasn't glued properly then I started tightening things and it turned out to be the plastic things that are around the pickups.
I wish I could remember what those darn things are called. :o

etnoziroh said:
Could be this.

I will go home (im at school) adn i will take the cover of the pick-up and see if that is it. EdWonbass..... I tried that the cover things weren't loose i tightened up everything on the guitar I could find.

If the neck shifted the truss rod could have become loose enough to rattle. Put the truss rod wrench on and if it can be turned easily then the rod is too loose.

edWonbass Those plastic things around the pickups are called "bezels". :)

Back