weird OH set up.

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
I know the answer is "try it" and I probably will, but I wanted to see what you guys thought or if you'd tried this before I go into it blind...

Use a Recorderman OH set up with an Omni NT5 SDC over the snare, and a Fathead Ribbon over the shoulder.

I want to try this to free up the other Cardio NT5 SDC for HH, and the FH for room.

Would using an Omni and figure 8 cause a lot of phase issues, or would it just be a matter of having mismatched stereo image?

My other thought I just use the omni as a mono OH and see how that works.

Thanks!

My two concerns would be phase of course but you can listen for that and take a peak at it in a DAW. The thing you might not be able to get around is the difference in sound color of thw two mics, if you panned them out as you would spaced overheads. The center image would be kind of unpredictable I think but as you said, give it a shot and see what it sounds like. It might be the next Glynn Johns.:D

Unless your room is really good, I wouldn't go messing with omni or figure-8 mics. They pick up too much stuff. If the room is less than great, you're gonna be getting all kinds of wongo reflections.

I'd say that if you're in a questionable room and you don't have a matched pair of cardoid mics for overheads, just use one mono.

I've never used an omni condenser on a snare but (I know this is slightly irrelevant) a dynamic omni sounds awesome on a snare and might allow you to free up some mics for other purposes. If you can find one to borrow and play with, give it a try... I did this recording my afrofunk band and got a great sound with only three mics.

Back