Weird noise from condenser mic

teainthesahara

So, I took my Studio Projects B1 LDC out of storage (3 months or so),
anxious to try out some new snare miking techniques, and it literally sounds like a tornado is swirling around inside the mic! I can hear the intended source signal, but it is drowned out by the windy sound. Preamps/cables etc. test out fine. Mic was stored in its zippered pouch, within a foam lined metal case.

Busted or fixable?

T

Have you tried slapping it and having a serious talk with it? followed by more slapping? That's about the extent of my audio engineering skills!

Most of the time this is the result of a bad capacitor somewhere in the circuit. Call PMI Audio or check with the reseller to see if you can return it for repair/replacement. Alan Hyatt and Brent Casey are pretty good about replacing bad mics.

that windy sound is usually a major indicator that the diaphragm has gotten moist. humidity (or a damp climate, as Vancouver can be) can be a cause for that, even in a mic stored in its case. in addition to storing the mic in its case, you should get some of those silica gel packs and put them in the case as well. still, even that won't always keep it from happening.

put the mic under a 100W bulb for an hour or so to dry it out. i'd wager "humid diapgragm" before i'd point at a bad cap.....but you certainly can't rule a bad cap out.

if drying it out doesn't take care of it, contact PMI support--they'll take good care of you.

cheers,
wade

Back