Weird MR8 behavior

Eric-Jensen

The other night, I heard some funny clicks through the headphones if I hit a chord. It would be more noticeable as the sound faded. I thought maybe one of my ebay mics was messing up, so tried the pan controls to put one mic in each ear. The panning controls worked in reverse (and yes, the phones were on the right way!), and the faint popping was always from input 1, even after switching mics. I finally shut the unit off and turned it back on. No noise, and the pan controls worked as normal. Odd. Anyone else have this happen? Does it get worse, if so? I had just reformatted the CF card before the problem started, BTW. I have not had the problem since, and have run the 1.03 OS all along.

this is one of the bugs of the MR-8 is the headphone amp, It freaks out once in a while. Turning off the power seems to make it go away.

clif

yeah!!! I was going to ask a question about that headphone amp problem! what's up with that?! I also found that turning the machine off and then back on usually makes it go away. but it bugs me! it sounds like the signal is being ran through some compression effect or something. Do you know more about this issue?

turntablist said:
yeah!!! I was going to ask a question about that headphone amp problem! what's up with that?! I also found that turning the machine off and then back on usually makes it go away. but it bugs me! it sounds like the signal is being ran through some compression effect or something. Do you know more about this issue?

unfortunatley that is all I know. I just hope that someday it won't stay like that.

clif

I'm thinking it's something happening in the digital part, not the headphone amp. Things like pan must be operating on the digital signal. Otherwise, every track would have to be converted to analog, panned, etc., reconverted to digital, sent to the output bus, and converted again to analog to hear it. So I think it's our little equivalent of a windows blue screen, and we're rebooting to fix it. I'm wondering what causes the crash in the first place.

Same problem

Hey guys, I just experienced the same problem on my Mr-8. I was trying to record with the mastering effects. I thought I blew the headphone amp. But like you said once I turned it off, unplugged, and replugged it into another outlet it sounds...normal now. Other than this, I have had no troubles with this machine. It definately is one of the best units going. Any reports from fostex on what this problem in, and resolution planned?

Back