weird humm sound........

Sofisticated

hey whats up again yall.........i finally got mah gear today..........i was gonna get a mxl v93 but the store was sold out and the had to fed ex it in from another store in mah city and that woulda took about 2 weeks and i was like fuckit.......so anyways back to mah problem......i had bought a apex hot kit.......with a apex 420 mic and a art tube mic pre and i boughtsome akg k-220m headphones and when i plugged in the mic throguht the preamp i get a really weird humming sound...........im not sure what it is can any one help me.........peace

check the outlet that you have your gear pluged into. if the hum is coming from the outlet, ground it.

check your cables (try other cables)

what kind of lights do you have in you studio? sometimes, if you have floresent lights, they can cause hum.

if the lights are the prom, get diff. lights or move your gear arould to another place in the room.

chances are its going to be the cables or the lights like zeke said, if you can't get rid of the sound from the flourecents (if it is them) go to some garage sales and pick up a couple of lamps to put in.
Those can really get a vibe going for acoustic and mellow music if you use low wattage light bulbs.

oo werd.........thanks alot for ya input gentleman.........i dont have any florecent lights but i do have cheap wire........i think thats the cause.......hmmmm but y is there no hum like when i turn on the tube pre but then after awhile there is........hmmmmm.......i dunno......any more imput is greatly apreciated

Try wiggling wires away from power transformers (wall warts) or amplifiers.

I spent two days trying to kill the noise in my patchbay to find (while monitoring through phones) it stopped when I turned my mackie power amp off.

Video monitors are also a bad hum source>

hmmm i tried wiggaling the wires and nothing happened..............this is the whole run down......the power is off on the art tube mic pre.......plug the power to the art........turn on the phantom power........everything is fantastic.........then after bout 2 min the humm noize is noticable.......after 6 min its unbearable............it just keeps escalatind to the point u have to unplug the unit and wait for it to kool down......

hahaha damn im pretty sure its the bloddy cable........imma get eather a monster cable for around 25 or a mogami cable for around that.........

monster standard 100 xlr cable - 25 bucks
monster preformer 500 xlr cable - 50 bucks
mogami neglex gold series - 25 bucks

any 1 know anything about those??

id appreciate ya input......peace

Back