Weird echo on my drums...

MightyPOOsticK

Hey guys im recording my drums to my computer. My hardware is: 3 mics plugged into a mackie 1202 vlz pro mixer, going to a delta 66, and onto the computer. Software: cool edit pro.

When I play back what I have recorded there is this weird echo on everything. But if I solo one of the tracks (one of the mics) then it sounds fine. I have headphones plugged into the mixer and they sound fine thru the mixer. Any idea whats going on?

Thanks alot!

-Paul

Assuming you don't have some wild delay effect on.

Looking at the waveforms in your software multitracker, are they lined up in the way they should be (approx), or is there an errant track? Is only one off, or more?

If there is, that's the next question.

hey my drums sound like that too :D

lmao pretty neat huh...Im thinking its an out of phase thing. I have done enough reading to be damn sure that is my problem too, but I dont have a phase reversal switch, and Ill be damned if Im going to splice my 50$ mic cords...

Out of phase is something that happens when you've got mics pointing in opposite directions...ie at each other.

Like if you have some overhead mics pointing down, and a snare mic under the snare pointing up, I think even one on the snare will do that, as well as would a kick mic.

Another instance in which this has happened is when I recorded acoustic guitar. One condenser behind over my shoulder and another condensor pointiing at the sound hole. They arent pointed directly at each other but the idea is they are pointed opposite directions. (I believe)

I am new to this too, and this is my theory, Im not totally 100% positive but damn near. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Or you can just think of it as a free delay effect plugin :D

Ok I moved my mics around a bit and now the problems solved. I havent had time to fool with it and get good sound though.

Thanks for the help!

-Paul

Back