Weird drum mods

saads

Baka
I remember when I just started playing drums, I put tape on the underside of my cymbals. Not because I needed to damp the cymbals or anything, but because I saw it in the Smells like teen spirit video :D
I did realize later on that it was stupid and took it off. I'm wondering if any of you have done weird/unnecessary stuff to your drums at some point. I'm sure most of us have fallen prey to the blanket/sleeping bag/pillows in kick drum routine :p

I've never been one to tape/muffle my drums or cymbals. It always seemed counter-intuitive to me. I've taped toms for a song or two for a certain sound, but 99.99999% of the time my drums are wide open and always have been. Probably the weirdest stuff I did when starting out was go ultra minimal. I'd use a kick, snare, floor tom and a ride/crash. I spent years drumming like that in the early 90'. I had three legit reasons for using such a small kit: 1) it was a psychobilly band. Hi-hats and 80's style tom rolls were taboo. 2) it was quick and easy to transport and set up. I'd just throw everything in the trunk of my GTO and hit the road. 3) the girls could see me. I didn't wanna be hiding behind toms and cymbals. Make all the drummer jokes you want, but chicks dig drummers. It's primal. A man hitting things with clubs to make a driving beat. It makes bitches wet.

I had a cheap drumkit when I was reaaaallllyyy little. Maybe about 6-8 years old. The snares broke, so I wound up tying soda tabs to the side of the drum and laying them on the top head. I taped the yarn down so they wouldn't bounce too much. Viola! Snare sound again... Well for a 7 year old at least.

Not sure if this counts- the "drums" being so cheap...

I started playing guitar at age 10. My oldest little brother got a very cheap, drum set for Christmas the next year. I mean, cheap- instead of tensioners, it had SPRINGS holding the heads/hoops on! I decided I was going to mod it into as close to a "real" drum set as I could. I used my Erector Set to make adjustable tensioners for the drums, and old guitar strings to make one of the toms into a snare. Also used Erector set parts to make a snare drum stand, so the snare drum would be in the "correct" position. Amazingly, everything I built worked as intended, although the snare stand was a bit wobbly. There was only one "cymbal," so I was saved from feeling the need to build a hi-hat stand!

Of course, that kit is long gone. I wonder what it would be worth, today?

Wow, intense stuff :D
One strange thing I've seen other people do is put MoonGel on the cymbals. Sounds interesting (albeit useless)

I once painted several hundred packing peanuts in various colors of "glow paint" placed them in my kick drum ( to get a muffled sound) and then set a black light in front of my kick. It looked cool as the peanuts "jumped" each time I hit the drum ......... but after two gigs I decided I hated the sound.

The "worst" mod I fell into was during the late 70's when single headed drums were the fad. I took all the resonent heads off and played the drums that way for many years. When I finally bought a new kit and left the heads on - I realized what a glorious, open tone I was missing for all those years.

Oh yeah, I did the no reso heads on toms thing too. It was only for a couple of weeks though. Tuning drums is such a bitch when you're starting out, not having to tune 3 heads saved me a lot of time. I did however come to realize the payoff was the fact that they sounded like crap so I stopped.

Make all the drummer jokes you want, but chicks dig drummers. It's primal. A man hitting things with clubs to make a driving beat. It makes bitches wet.

That's actually very true. Drummers might not get an equal share of 'attention', 'fame', or 'respect' but they do get an equal share in the women, if not more.

Drummers are usually the only man in the band. They get the girls and are usually the only member of the band that can actually win a bar fight. Singers and guitarists are frilly faggots, bass players are usually fat, weird, and/or dumb as shit, and forget keyboard players. They suck every which way.

Drummers are usually the only man in the band. They get the girls and are usually the only member of the band that can actually win a bar fight. Singers and guitarists are frilly faggots, bass players are usually fat, weird, and/or dumb as shit, and forget keyboard players. They suck every which way.

:laughings:

this is so true...

...except for me. I'm awesome

Back