weird dancesong

jkvd

Hi there people,

Please listen to my dancetrack and tell me what you think of it.

The song is finished except femaile vocals.
The bass in the song in a juno106 / live electric bass.
live guitars, bells at the end of the song
live pianostring being picked by me =)
lots of juno ambient layers
fruityloops rhythms

not bad

Hey JKVD,

After listening I think a lot of your track. It's not bad and I know how important it is a show must keep one's attention.

What do you want with this track? can you call it dance? I think it's music to relax.

The bass lines are pretty cool, you have a feeling for them. You should do more with the bass lines, for they are your strongest part.

Furthermore I should shorten your track, and remove the (Spanish?) guitar. It sounds boring, in my opinion.

Good luck,
Ferry123

Not sure I would really consider this a dance track.
It's a little slow for dance, IMO.

Well done though. I could see this in a video game or movie.

Compress that (more than likely) Juno high resonance "kick" sound. It sounds like a clip, even though it probably isn't. Spanish guitar sounds stupid... almost like a GM MIDI patch on a Soundblaster.

Drums need more crispness and, dare I say, "AIR".

All in all this piece needs MELODY. Bass lines aren't melody. In fact, you should write the melody first and then write basslines that support the melody. Personally things are going a little bit backwards here.

Snare needs some power to it. Right now it is a thin little wheeze. Not good.

The backing parts with the 106 are nice though. I love the Juno 106 and 60. Juno 60 was my first synth.

Good effort, but ultimately too minimal and needs melody. At least there is a bit of a vibe and mood going on, more than I can say for most music of this ilk; of course the mood is "swanky" so maybe that's not good. :) Maybe if the femaile (sic) vocals were in there it'd be another story.

"Not sure I would really consider this a dance track.
It's a little slow for dance, IMO.

Well done though. I could see this in a video game or movie."

Yup I feel about the same.

Just the only things I would say to flesh out the track, would be things I would do with it. To bridge the gap of electronic and organic sounds...perhaps some feedback/harmonics of an electric guitar through out. That could meld in with the other backing pad sounds floating around, interact with them even just though the random modulations that would be there. As for the Spanish guitar...I like it well enough, just I feel it comes off a bit to clean/slick whatever. There are millions of ways to dirty it up...first thing I would try would be killing some of its high eqs, then screwing around with mid and low eqs ( maybe a tape echo on it at times even ). Perhaps doing some more striking variations on its themes could help as well...ending on another note ( perhaps a lower one ) screwing with pitch bend ( to prebend notes even ) could give more life. Near the start of the song...would let the single bass note come in a few times ( four to eight ), before I placed the drums with it mostly for the reason of dynamics. Tons of random things that could be...

Other then my random...I enjoyed the track and feel its a good foundation to build on, and even think it has merits as it stands alone now.

"Bass lines aren't melody."

This is to land of the lost for me...

Back