Weird crackles and cross fading issues...

TravisK

Ok--two things...

first off when i arrived at our studio today and started playing our latest project, i was noticing some odd crackles...

it seems the more plugins i add, the more crackle i get. now our processor is relatively new (AMD Athlon 64 3200 @ 2.0GHz)...and i didn't notice it two days ago. What could be doing this? We run an aardvark q10 (RIP) as our audio card.

Secondly, if I punched in some places over on guitar, how can i make them so that they transition seamlessly? like a cross fade.... Right now i can hear the click at the end of a track and the beginning of it. It's mainly noticable through headphones.

Thanks for all the help fellas--ya'll are great. :D

oh yeah, this is in Sonar 4

Last edited:
hi,

I ran into this problem too a couple of times. There's a couple things that you could do.

1. make sure that you are recording at a sampling rate that the plugins will handle. IE: some plugins like guitar rig will not work right at 24/96...
try recording at 24/48 for now (that is...unless you already are)

2. defragment/clean and make sure your hard drive is in DMA mode.

3. run the audio profiler in Sonar and make sure you have the right buffer settings. Try playing around with the buffer size until you get the sound you want.

I'm sure there's a couple tips I missed, but somebody else will mention them. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be when all you want to do is get a good clean sound.

Adam

i will try those, but i'm actually thinking it might be a new software noise gate I added today. it works wonderfully as a plugin (part of the fishfilet series) when I bounce the audio tracks, but it seems when i use it a lot, i get snaps and pops when it begins to shut the gate and when the gate closes.

i'll do some research with what you've given me. it could be that the plugin could have the problem with sampling rates that you speak of. either way, thanks...i'm still only a year into this business and just saved the money to make the big leap from cakewalk pro audio 9 to sonar 4...so some things are very new to me.

Search under my name for posts, i had alot of crackles, and buffering was the main problem for me. I Had a fast system so it had to be the config.

- Idgeit

Back