Weird acoustic thing

IanW-UK

Hi all, been messing about with an old idea, it's come out a bit "weirder" than I had envisaged :o (messin with synths) but anyhoo there's somethin missing (apart from vocals ;) ) and I aint sure what i'm lookin for.

what I have noted so far meself on the tracking/mixing side of things: I have overdone the noise gate on the acoustics and now they sound a bit odd, like mp3 chorusyness and a little thin. The bass is crappy sounding, I have had to over eq it to get it to cut. Probably too loud aswell. Gonna redo with smoother sound. Snare to in yer face. Too much "dodgy mastering compressor" generally weird :p

Anyone got any suggestions for what is missing and how I can....well....... make it good ? :p

Cheers,

Ian.......

It's kinda harsh sounding.....too much energy somewhere around the 2k region. And I agree about the snare sound. I don't really care for it. It sounds like you already know what you need to do.....main thing for me is I'd pull out some 2k and see how that sounds.

Interesting music BTW.

yeah, i think you coverd most of it.

but...this song ROCKS. ha.

you really know what i think you're missing?
STRINGS STRING STRINGS! - and real ones...
you know that high synthy part in the backround of most of the tune, make that a chorus of violins - and you'll give yourself an epic section to the song.....This song rocks in everyway though...i really dig it.....

anyway, keep that up, and tell me if you add strings. ha.

oh yeah, and i second that new bass part.ha.

Thanks for the replies guys. I cut about 2.5 db @ 2000 and it does sound much better thanks Bob :)

Shackrock, I'd love to put some real strings on there but I have no way of doing that :( Thanks though, I'll definately be redoing that bass :p

Back