Weighted Keyboard, not full size... But Amazing Sound

shackrock

Hey all.

I had a (classic) Kurzweil PC88MX for a few years. The thing has 88 weighted keys, is heavy and huge and industrial. I definitely liked it...

Anyway I just sold it. It's too big for my new room - and I'm hoping to find something that sounds better.

So as I'm looking for a replacement. Here's what I'm thinking...

* A bit Smaller! (Less than 88 keys please...) 40" (ish) would be ideal.
* Weighted Keys
* I don't need any other sounds besides an amazing classic piano sound. Seriously, the only built in sound I need is that of a realistic piano! (Again, I thought the PC88MX was "ok" in this department, but I've heard much better...). This is most important.
* Mini In/Out or USB or something to hook up to my recording gear/computer.

Any one have ideas? Price is secondary, although $400-$1000 is my range.

Thanks!

There was a thread pertaining to this (except for the less than 88 note bit) recently -
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=306759

Most people will recommend getting a controller and using software for the sounds, that way you'll be able to upgrade in the future. But if the sounds are built into the keyboard it's simpler for gigs.

yeah I was toying with the idea of using a contrller instead, but in the end... I do really only want to use 1 built in sound - that of a realistic piano. And then as long as there is a midi out for the occational times that I may use that, I'll be happy...

I'll take a look at that thread too.

but while I'm at it... is there a "BEST Piano VSTI" or similar? What are people's experience there?

Back