Weight In Gold - New!

PhilLondon

Hey all. I don't know if you remember but I had a thread about this song before, and I've been working on it again. I feel like I'm getting the hang of compression and EQing a bit more, and I had a bit of a go at (very poorly) mastering it in Logic. Hopefully not too bad, but obviously I'm open to suggestions and critiques of all kinds.

Thanks for your help if you've been answering my questions. :)

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/weight-in-gold-loud

Edit: Solo needs work. :D

Good morning Phil....
Sounds pretty good on headphones. I've listened to it a couple of times and tbh the only thing I might do is trim back the solo a bit so it rides around the same level as the snare/lead vocal. I like the transition between acoustic/electric. :)

Morning!

There's no acoustic! I'll have a look at the solo.

I wonder if the kick is a bit over powering, when it hits I'm not sure, but it might be overpowering the vocal a bit.

Thanks for your comments :)

Edit - When listening on laptop speakers the bass is very boomy. Strange that my monitors wouldn't pick that up.

Last edited:
No acoustic? lol shows what I know. Anyway I do like the different rhythm guitar sounds. Kick is not a problem on my headphones though.

Thanks for your kind words.

If it sounds different and boomy on different systems, should I just tweak it until it sound pretty stable on all?

I'm finding that on my Mac speakers the bass is a bit of an issue, on the laptop speakers, iPhone, monitors, it's fine.

Sounds like the template for excellent powerpop.
The cymbals feel a little too fat apart. The chorus hard panned guitars could come down a little bit and the vox up a little.
I know there's a bass in the mix but it's indistinct and anonymous - need a change to the chugga or at least a little definition.
Cool stuff.

Thanks, Ray. I felt that the bass was rumbling a bit, and it was the rumble that I could hear and not the bass, so I tried my best to EQ that out and then the bass was really low, so I've brought the bass up and I think it's better. I've also brought the solo down a little and put the vocal up a little in the chorus,.

What do you mean too far apart?

What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/weight-in-gold-new

Back