Weather - Alternative Rock - mix feedback, please

andrushkiwt

feedback on this? Nothing specific I'm after this time, just all around mix stuff. thanks!

Too far, too long, I'll wait for nothing.
Just like before, I'll wait for something.

I'm identical in turn. Your chemicals, they burn.
I can't see something here that's worth fighting for.

When the weather turns my way,
I'll tear down the walls inside.
There's a possibility they'll bury us alive.

One time you told me to wait and
lose all control, well I've gone and lost it...

I feel it's time to move along and bury memories inside.
When you close your eyes it all will disappear.

Sounds real good. Is the bass a bit louder than the version I heard before? Seems like it. The mix overall sounds a bit scooped, apart from the voice. I'm hearing lots of bass and lots of cymbals. The guitars are subdued, which is generally a good thing. I do like that lead part that sits on top of the rhythm guitars, suggesting a melodic idea in the chord progression without really standing apart. Vocals are very smooth. When you sing "identical," I keep hearing "my daddy called." ;)

Sounds real good. Is the bass a bit louder than the version I heard before? Seems like it. The mix overall sounds a bit scooped, apart from the voice. I'm hearing lots of bass and lots of cymbals. The guitars are subdued, which is generally a good thing. I do like that lead part that sits on top of the rhythm guitars, suggesting a melodic idea in the chord progression without really standing apart. Vocals are very smooth. When you sing "identical," I keep hearing "my daddy called." ;)

Might have tweaked the bass...can't really recall. This was "finished" on Thursday just didn't have to time post it anywhere.

Well hmm, I wonder what Sigmund would say about that. :)

I found the kick a bit too fat/boomy. Really boinks in the mix. Kept me from turning it up in my apartment, which I wanted to ;-) A bit different feedback from me on this one, perhaps. Seems to me there’s plenty of dynamics in your mix, which I like, but for the genre I’d like to see a more dramatic effect between parts dynamic-wise. Have you tried adjusting the master fader to ensure the song builds energy throughout? You might need to add a synthline (only audible when removed) to take the final chorus over the top.

I think the mix sounds really good right now. I agree with the guy above who says the kick is a bit boomy. The bass sounds nice, but the kick is making it sound on steroids.
I don't hear the cymbal high end that someone else mentioned. The cymbals sound good. Everything about ~400hz sounds spot on to me. I think if you clean up the lows a little it will be stellar.

It's probably the master comp that's working on the kick more. I could loosen that up a bit in the future. Thanks everyone

I don't hear the cymbal high end that someone else mentioned. The cymbals sound good.

To be fair and for full disclosure, I listened on laotop speakers. Nothing but high end and lots of cymbals.

However, I'll listen to major artists on youtube on the same laptop, and the cymbals are never that present as on this particular tune. I've listened to other andru tunes on the same laptop with the cymbals more tamed down.
:D
In the end, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
:D

Ok, Had a listen on my system. Heres my observations. Overall bottom end, which was nonexistent on my laptop, is now a bit boomy and mushy. High end is still a bit sizzley and kind of a wash.

I then compared it to Breaking Benjamin "I Will Not Bow" for reference. Both were at the same levels. Gotta say you're pretty damn close. At least to the compressed Youtube version of the song.
The big differences are that the Benjamin track has tighter bottom, more warmth in the middle, and the high end is more defined and not quite as loud.

So, pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the OHs were good on their own, and they might have been tampered with when I put the 12kHz boost on the whole thing. It was about 1.5 db...maybe .5 or so would have been better. Need more listening devices because it sounded good on the hd280s and my car stereo. I don't doubt you though at all.

And btw, I used Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin as one of the references. Good call!

I actually have I Will Not Bow. I compared it to my mp3 and the soundcloud version. SC is way more swishy up top. Ugh. Annoying.

Cool.
The opening riff is a bit to close to a song by Garbage though.
The upper register of the bass seems odd - almost synth like - could use a little peak around 3Khz.

Cool.
The opening riff is a bit to close to a song by Garbage though.
The upper register of the bass seems odd - almost synth like - could use a little peak around 3Khz.

the distorted clipping in the beginning or the main guitar riff? I only know "Only Happy When It Rains" and maaaayybbe one other single they had? Oh and I do know Butch V was their drummer! ha.

I then compared it to Breaking Benjamin
See, I was gonna cite that as a bad thing! :D

You've got a click on "chemiCals" at 0:50

The panning feels better on this one than the last one. The wide leads are more buried, so they come off as more supplemental rather than a "main" part that's way on the side.

See, I was gonna cite that as a bad thing! :D

You've got a click on "chemiCals" at 0:50

The panning feels better on this one than the last one. The wide leads are more buried, so they come off as more supplemental rather than a "main" part that's way on the side.

also, only the left lead plays the supplemental melody...the right one is doing its own thing with the high pitched "ghostly" sounds. Used a cool harmonator, octave shifter, and delay on it. The left lead has something weird like that too, if I remember correctly.

thanks man.

Sounds pretty good to me. The snare seems a bit too snappy, I'd probably de-emphasize that a bit.

Cymbals are a little too sizzly for me. Did you mix this L-C-R? I know there was discussion about it recently, just not my taste in mixing.

Cymbals are a little too sizzly for me. Did you mix this L-C-R? I know there was discussion about it recently, just not my taste in mixing.

i did. maybe i'll post the mp3 file later as well so ppl can compare them. I'm not hearing sizzling on that one. The OH's are only compressed for the snare hits to be reduced about 3db's. that doesn't come close to touching the cymbals. the only thing i did that might be affecting them is the master bus boost. the OH's are actually pretty low. the boost might be bringing the top end of them up and then that is what's hitting the SC compression more.

Back