We are...Kickstand Savant

Were a relatively new band and are trying to home record our demo...this is our most overdone tune...what do you all think?
too much?

pretty good song-I like the lo-fi elements--the opening guitar-and the verse vocal sound---People will surely tell you to turn up the vocal-it's kinda hard to pick out words---I recognize that melody---hmmm -can't place it at the moment but it will come to me...The distorted guitar sound is kinda ugly imo and gets lost in the mix...drums sound kinda ehhhh--at least its a real kit--you can hear the phase problems when cymbals are hit and the snare is kinda boomy..I like the singers voice when he gets up in the higher notes especially-towards the end--cool switch in sound around 4:00--overall I like this, don't get the wrong impression--its a good solid song and you can hear the sound of your band coming through. And we made it through my review without me identifying that melody lol---cmon fess up hehe.....oh one other thing the song may be a tad long--you could have squeezed this song into under 4 minutes i bet without missing too much---just an opinion of course...

Hello again,
thanks for the great input,

I talked to the singer...that melody was uh...inspired....by release by pearl jam... :-)

This was one of our first attempts, and i knew next to nothing as far as mic placement, those are just dynamic mics for the overheads...not even matched i dont think, and all the drums were recorded onto one stereo track so isolating them is near impossible...probably over did it trying to get the BD to boom...

Well, back to the old mixer then... :-D

thanks again

Vocals and guitar are a bit pitchy and the mix sounds muddy to me overall, but a pretty good mix under the circumstances. Some highs 8k and up might help some, if you have a decent EQ at your disposal.

Well there is certainly some effects going on with this one. In general it was a bit too much for my tastes. The back and forth with the vocals from "telephone voice" to normal was too much. For me, a little bridge of it in the middle is more than enough.

pglweis mentioned some pitchiness. Tough to catch but there is a bit here and there, e.g., the vox at :43. The singer has a good voice though. Too buried in effects however.

There does seem to be some overall presence missing.

The distorted guit is quite muddy. If you can make a cut at about 275-300hz you might be able to help. However, I'd find a better tone and retrack. I think that would give better results.

The song could use a bridge or something to break it up in the middle.

My thoughts.

uh, beginning sounds kinda familiar

.........................."sweet home alabama"; the drums sound really bad, I mean those farting toms but hey, you seem to have a great singer there, wow!

funny

Sweet home................hehe

I agree with everyone.....very muddy sound. Singer sounds good though....neeeds more highs.

Try a live recording without effects

Back