Ways to record Drums

my band used to use a guitar practice amp with a headphone out (split for the drummer and guitarist) to lay down drum tracks; no bleed whatsoever and as long as you click through the silences it should all turn out wonderfully.

Perfect thread, probably saves me from asking 40 questions when all my mic's get here.
Makes us home recorders feel good about buying cheap-ass mic's :P

Scott

It's been a while since i was in this forum, but remembered this thread - and realised it had died.

There are thousands of people who record drums on this forum - lets hear what you do, and how you do it! :)

..c'mon - whats the worst that could happen?

Here's a little clip I recorded of my drummer just havin a bit of fun last summer when we were recording our album. I added a bit of EQ to a couple of the tracks after I first recorded them, but they really havent been mixed much (not that it needs a whole lot, considering its just drums and a djembe).

Here's the setup:

Allegra custom drum set
djembe

mics:

AKG D112 (beater side)
Audix D6 (resonant)
Shure sm57 (top/bottom snare)
Sennheiser md421 (tom)
Sennheiser e604 (tom)
Sennheiser e609s (tom)
AT Pro25 (floor tom)
2x Audix SCX-one SDCs (OHs)

(cant remember what i used on djembe... i think the d112 on the bottom and maybe a 57 on top? dunno...)

signal path:

Panasonic Da7 digital mixer -> motu 2408mk2 -> sonar 4 pe
(not running rme hdsp 96/52 and sonar 5)

this was recorded in a church sanctuary, with a big 'foam' wall type deal surrounding the drums (was a bit echoey... a medium size church).

I used 'the recorderman' method recording these--its a cool method to try out, ive been really happy with it. i dont have tons of experience with recording drums with different techniques but this has worked out well. you can find out about it by searching the forum... basically, it makes it so your two overhead mics are equidistant to the snare and kick drum.

Heres a Clip of me on a horrible TKO set when i was 13.

Heres a clip of me testing out some new software(Logic Express).

(bad playing, i was working on blast beats, im only 15)

You can really hear the difference from 13 to 15 in the 2 clips.

I have a Pulse Pro Mahgony W/ a tama metal snare with a evans Powercenter, 13'' with a Evans Hydralic, 6'' also with evans hydralic, and 22'' with evans EMAD and stock pulse reso.

Its miced with Audio Techinca Beginner sets that cost 50 bucks for 4 mics. For over heads i have 2 Audix Dynamics, which will be replaced with 2 ST55's.

Signal Path:
Behringer Eurorack UB2222FX-PRO Mixer --> m-audio firewire --> G4 Cube

Im getting a shure set soon, i think that will make the kit sound much better. Though i maybe wrong, any advice as to what i could do.

Last edited:
heres my contribution

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4510

2 behringer c-2's in xy as overheads (would have been spaced if i had another mic stand :P) running through an audiobuddy and a random £15 dynamic stuck on the non beater side of the kick runnign through a Kustom 10W guitar amp as a pre :eek:

The drum kit was a cheap beginner kit with borrowed zildijan cmybals. The heads were dead and the drummer didnt know how to tune them.... so we didnt :)
PS. This is after eq and compression

I love to read what other folks are doing. I'm constantly morphing my method. I'll put up a recent session tonight when I get home with some details.

um hmmmm.......

Just finished doing a session with my band's drummer:
2 Neumann U87's as overheads ( :D )
Studio Projects C4 on snare top
SM57 on snare bottom
Audix d2 on rack tom
Ev RE20 on Floor tom
Shure beta 52 on kick
C414's as room mics
I can't remember what I ended up using for the hat, but it was a sdc.
I'll be sure to post some sample's once it's mixed!

I decided to try and switch up mic's....trying mic's on drums I don't usually try them on. I must say I'm pretty stoked with the results :cool:

Back