ways to "make it"

smirky

I'm starting a band project with some really fine musicians, and I have about 50 songs ready (some of them being highly commercial and really would appeal to the masses).

now we're discussing our possibilities, and how we could really achieve something. I am from Austria, and I know that the music business-situation in our country is much mored different than in the U.S. or U.K. (as the market is very small), but what do you think are in general the best ways to get to the top (I know you need luck and connections, but let's not discuss this here please).

- sending in good tapes as crazy (with studio recording quality)
- playing live acts, building up a local fanbase
- doing all the marketing by oneself (e.g. no record deal)
- trying to get the music heard in the intenet

what do you think?

smirky

You need to gig and develop a following. If you have recorded a CD - sell them at he gigs. If you can show a label that you can sell 1,000 or 2,000 of your CD with no distribution they will be more likely to take a chance.

Although it may happen on rare occasions, bands don't get deals until they have paid some road dues. If a lablel signs a band the label wants to know that the band can: 1) sell CDs and 2) tour to promote the CD. If you don't have good live chops, how can a label depend on you to "create a buzz".

All the other stuff - sending out CD's (don't send tapes - nobody does tapes anymore), use of the web, etc. are additional marketing tools to be used in conjunction, (not instead) of touring.

Back