Waves MaxxBass/BCL Equivalent in Hardware?

Synthzizer

Hi Guys does anyone know if any other manufacturer makes a psychoacoustic bass processor with the same effect in H/W?

There is that Aphex unit...the one with "Big Bottom".
I have the original Aphex 104 Aural Exciter Type C with Big Bottom...but there's been a couple of later/newer models since.

I have to say...I removed my Aphex from my racks several years ago, as I didn't find much use for it in recording/mixing...and it probably would be better for live work. The software plugs, IMO, do less damage and sound better.
I like the Waves Renaissance Bass for that purpose. It really does a great job of adding harmonics and fattening up the punch/presence of Bass guitar without overloading the track....and of course, you want to use it sparingly. It's very easy to get addicted and go over the top with it...and then you realize it's doing way too much.

I know I'm going to get some hate on this but honestly the BBE sonic max is pretty good on bass. I have no compared it to max bass, but since I have that plug and never use it maybe I'll check them out together and see if the effect is similar or not.

At least the hardware is, no idea how their software or pedals work out.

But I actually use the sonic max on the preamp I have (BBE BMAX solid state version) and I think whatever it does works well on bass.

I mean you can certainly overdo it but settings right around 12 o clock work well for me (American Jazz bass).

There is that Aphex unit...the one with "Big Bottom".
I have the original Aphex 104 Aural Exciter Type C with Big Bottom...but there's been a couple of later/newer models since.

I have to say...I removed my Aphex from my racks several years ago, as I didn't find much use for it in recording/mixing...and it probably would be better for live work. The software plugs, IMO, do less damage and sound better.
I like the Waves Renaissance Bass for that purpose. It really does a great job of adding harmonics and fattening up the punch/presence of Bass guitar without overloading the track....and of course, you want to use it sparingly. It's very easy to get addicted and go over the top with it...and then you realize it's doing way too much.
Thanks Miroslav.... but is that the same process of adding new harmonics as the maxxbass does? Thats the psychoacoustic crutch im after...

This is how an Aphex tech explained it in another forum:

How they work: First, all processing is done in a side chain. You mix the results of the processed signal with the unaltered input signal.

Aural Exciter-This signal first hits a HPF. Only frequencies "above" the HPF setting are processed. You can set the HPF between 600Hz and 5kHz. I find that settings under 1kHz work best. Then even order harmonics are generated based on the input frequencies of the post HPF signal. When you turn up the Harmonics knob, higher frequency harmonics are generated as well. Turning this knob up too much can sound bad. The amount knob simply blends the processed signal with the input signal. A very small amount of this processing goes a long way. The significant thing to remember is that an EQ can only cut or boost frequencies that are present in the material. The Aural Exciter can "add" frequencies that were not present in the input signal. Also, the Aural Exciter is NOT a substitute for EQ. EQ allows you to sculpt a sound while the Exciter will enhance the sound.

Big Bottom-The Big Bottom processor uses frequency dependent parallel compression. The signal first hits a LPF. Only frequencies "below" the LPF will be processed. You can set the LPF between 50Hz and 200Hz. Frequencies below the LPF setting will be optically compressed. The Drive control boosts the amount of post LPF signal to the compressor. The higher you turn the knob, the more the signal will be compressed. Turn up the Amount knob to blend the processed signal with the unaltered input signal. Even with the amount knob turned all the way up you will not see more than 1dB in boosted output level. The same thing cannot be said when using EQ to boost low frequencies.

Just like any other processor, there are no "rules" about "where" you can use them! You can insert them on individual channels for recording and mixing. You can also use them on busses including the stereo master buss. For smaller DJ events like house parties, school dances and weddings, adding an Exciter to the stereo buss can make a small PA sound much larger. Adding Exciters to the monitor mixes can highly improve the listening experience for the performer. I could go on and on. These processors are VERY powerful tools that can make amazing sonic improvements to any source when used properly and sparingly.

Lastly, the current version of the Aural Exciter and Big Bottom product is simply called EXCITER. This unit replaces the 204 and is the best version of the technology so far. We also have a mono 500 series version called the EX.BB 500. We also have two channel strip products called CHANNEL and PROJECT CHANNEL that include Aural Exciter and Big Bottom processors.

Back