Wave Manager Error

aceteleman

I have a Fostex MR8HD and I've just encountered something that I've never gotten before.

I'm trying to send tracks from my PC to the MR8 for a remix, which I've done plenty of times in the past, but now I'm getting this error:

File too large!

MR-8: 6520832 (available capacity inside MR-8)
WAVE: 0(Total file size to transfer)

The hard drive should not be full unless it's storing files that I'm not aware of. I only have the one song I'm trying to work on, everything else has been stored on my PC for future reference.

The total size of the 4 tracks I'm trying to transfer is only 64.3mb (Trk 1: 16.3mb, 2: 15.9mb, 3: 15.8mb 4: 16.3mb). I tried doing them one at a time and it took the first two then I got the error again when I tried 3 and 4.

Has anyone run into this situation before and what's the solution?

Thanks,
The Teleman :mad:

I have a Fostex MR8HD and I've just encountered something that I've never gotten before.

I'm trying to send tracks from my PC to the MR8 for a remix, which I've done plenty of times in the past, but now I'm getting this error:

File too large!

MR-8: 6520832 (available capacity inside MR-8)
WAVE: 0(Total file size to transfer)

The hard drive should not be full unless it's storing files that I'm not aware of. I only have the one song I'm trying to work on, everything else has been stored on my PC for future reference.

The total size of the 4 tracks I'm trying to transfer is only 64.3mb (Trk 1: 16.3mb, 2: 15.9mb, 3: 15.8mb 4: 16.3mb). I tried doing them one at a time and it took the first two then I got the error again when I tried 3 and 4.

Has anyone run into this situation before and what's the solution?

Thanks,
The Teleman :mad:

I've been thinking a format of the HD but I don't want to do that if there's a solution to this problem. There's really nothing to save on the recorder right now so a format wouldn't really hurt...

The only thing I can think of is have you carried out song or track deletes or carried out a large number of edits on a song?

The DOS on the Fostex is a simplified version that does not clean up the disk after deletes. That means no disk space is released. The result is a bunged up disk.

The MR series were originally designed to use a PC as a main storage and editing facility - the original MR8 is card based. The hard disk and later the CD burner were added to the later models and the software updated BUT not to the level of a PC operating system.

My (personal) rule is to use the HD as a temporary store - burn the recordings to CD and then re-format the disk before the next major recording session.

Hope this helps.

The only thing I can think of is have you carried out song or track deletes or carried out a large number of edits on a song?

The DOS on the Fostex is a simplified version that does not clean up the disk after deletes. That means no disk space is released. The result is a bunged up disk.

The MR series were originally designed to use a PC as a main storage and editing facility - the original MR8 is card based. The hard disk and later the CD burner were added to the later models and the software updated BUT not to the level of a PC operating system.

My (personal) rule is to use the HD as a temporary store - burn the recordings to CD and then re-format the disk before the next major recording session.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Terfyn,

I kinda figured that there were old files somewhere on the HD so I did the next best thing and just formatted it and it's working fine now.

Basically I do store my recorded tracks on my pc, but I do mixes on both the recorder and the pc. So anyway, when this happens again, and I'm sure it will, lol, I'll know what to do. :drunk:

Great!

The DOS has been a problem with the MR series, mainly because everyone treats the HD as a permanent store as the do with their PCs.

If you use the HD for one complete recording and mixing session, then re- format, everything should work OK.

Back