WAV vs. mp3? & Volume/Quality issues!

Helpmeimanoob

2 questions...

1.) If you render to WAV then convert to mp3, do you end up with the same quality as if you just render straight to mp3?

-If WAV --> mp3 results in better quality, please recommend your preferred converter. (free would be ideal, im poor)

2.) (recording with a condenser mic->USB Interface->Reaper) When I have interface gain dialed to about 95%, I get a full, crisp, sound. As I slowly dial down, at 90% it suddenly and very noticeably drops down and I lose clarity, presence, & my vocals now sound somewhat flat. (along with the rest of the entire sound losing some quality) The problem is when I have gain dialed to 95% and the master and track volumes (in Reaper)set to 0.00dB, I clip at anything over a whisper.

- Is there a way I can sing at a normal volume (without being 20 feet away from the microphone) with the interface gain set to 95% without clipping? Resulting in a MUCH more complete capturing of my voice. Otherwise the vocals come out hollow, and flat sounding.

(I haven't been able to figure through trial and error of volume/gain settings, mic placement, etc. And I'm getting frustrated because all my recordings are all so quiet, and hollow sounding. yet still clipping)

If it helps, you can hear some of my stuff here. https://soundcloud.com/simplyorange ( they're all so hollow:( )
-(cut me some slack, when Im aware that im being recorded so many distracting thoughts go through my head. But i've been getting better at just hitting record and doing whatever i feel like, rather then how I used to try over and over to record songs "perfectly" that in the end it was just a bored poem to chords, lacking all feeling and emotion.) (Too late to turn back now & this night has opened my eyes are recorded on my friends Mac.) (a few might be recorded with my iPhone too?)

(by the way before starting this thread I spent 4 hours fixing incorrect settings in Reaper, and just reading up on shit I wish I knew a long time ago. If someone can help me figure out my volume/quality problem... Then tomorrow is going to be a brand new chapter in my bedroom recording career :rolleyes: )

1. I'm not the expert but it shouldn't make a difference I'd think seeing WAV is the native format - it's just a conversion process. The LAME converter is used by Reaper and is free. Also by Audacity.

2. That's not normal. You'd have an issue somewhere in your signal chain, or, more likely, you don't yet understand how to listen and/or you have issues with what you're listening on and the way it interacts with the room you're listening in.

You should be tracking to about an average level of -18 to -12 in your DAW on each track. Don't get anywhere near 0db. That said, pad switches on mic, or interface, or both, reduce the sensitivity by a designated amount and are useful for tracking loud sources... but your voice isn't a loud source. If you're really getting a huge difference in quality based on the gain on your interface (which is what, by the way?) then you've got a problem with your interface. But that's not the most likely situation.

Soldier on... all such things are part of the learning process and sorted out with a bit of perseverance... :D

also, if this helps.

A typical, simple recording would be me practicing the song at my choice volume while playing with the gain on the USBinterface and seeing how close I can get to the microphone without clipping. Then...

I hit record, (play), stop, file, render, mp3, convert, save. That's it. ..i'm sure someone here can steer me in a better direction.

P.S. I need to read up on Mastering too. ..i dont really know what that entails.

Normally.. ;) the gain setting and/or record level wouldn't have much effect on the sonics, intentional circuit saturations and stuff like that aside. Typically it would be mic placement -nearer/farther away, orientation etc that would have the most impact and where you'd set your tone (mic choice of course too.
Then you dial in the gain.
Perhaps it's all that articulation / hyper 'detail and air that you get with a hot mic in the room that's messing with ya though!

Interesting... :)

With the gain at 95% it's at roughly +44dB. Also i'm using the basic soundcard that came with my computer. :\

I forgot to post this though...

2.) I can't really test anything out right now cause its 3am and people are sleeping. But i'll try the track volume at apprx. -16dB tomorrow morning. (& with my improved preferences settings)

But yea overall im not going for perfect quality or anything, personally I like the whole "raw bedroom" sound. It's just annoying that i have to choose between singing at a normal volume or standing 6 feet away, & with either one the vocals turn out flat. :facepalm:

..without being 20 feet away from the microphone) with the interface gain set to 95% without clipping? Resulting in a MUCH more complete capturing of my voice. Otherwise the vocals come out hollow, and flat sounding.
Also unless you're in a very controlled space even out past several inches the mic is going to start bringing in a fairly good dose of the room tone. Could be you're simply liking the effect of the ambiance.

So what's like '3 in Pitsburgh? :D

lol, im just gonna have to keep experimenting i guess. and maybe actually study some home recording!

thanks for the responses! :) ...I could always save up some cash and record a couple quick songs in an actual studio!

Er, an interface is a "sound card" and replaces the need to have one! I just saved you some money...mine's a pint!

Seriously, i don't think your interface or your mic are THAT bad. Yeah, you'll want to replace them in time but, while you learn your gear, they'll do fine.

I'd guess that your issue with the sound quality changing with levels is likely down to room acoustics so a few suggestions:

First off, be less worried about "95%" and "90%". Find the best place in your room (likely towards one side with the wall you're facing as far away as possible and something soft (curtains?) behind you. A slight angle so you're not at 90 degrees to the far wall can help too. Get yourself positioned so you're comfortable then adjust the levels so that, in Reaper, your vocal averages around -18 with peaks going where they need to--likely -12 to -10 unless you have a huge dynamic range.

If you can't find a good spot, get yourself some movers' blankets and build a couple of frames so you can put the blankets behind you and possibly to your sides (but not extending past the mic.

On your simpler first question, Reaper is working with your recordings as wave files so saving them that way results in no changes at all. However, saving as MP3 loses a LOT of quality and the losses pile up each time you open and re-save the file. I'd recommend staying with wave up to and including your final mix and mastering...then save as a wave again then (and only then) make an MP3 copy for distribution.

LAME is about as good an MP3 coder as your going to get.

Back