Wav. to mp3. Help with that..

Sebcore

Hi im using PowerTrack to record myself but the program only let me do a really poor quallity conversion of a wav. file to a mp3. file
Can anybody tell me where can i find a good converter for free on the net?Or how do i do it with powertrack?Maby my sound card aint good enouph ..i dunno
tx

Your soundcard has NOTHING to do with .wav to .mp3 conversions.

Just do a search on "free mp3 converter" and you will come up with MANY. Most of the free one's use the Lame codec, which is okay for free. I prefer the more natural sound of the Fraunhofer codec, but it is almost impossible to find in free software as the codec is never given away.

I use Audioactive Production Studio 1.5.5 (yes, I bit "old", but still does a very good job!) software to do conversions. It sounds great!

As an aside. When converting, if you are looking to get the high quality sound from mp3, you have to at LEAST encode at 192kbs. Most mp3's you download from websites are done at 128kbs. While 128kbs is "OK" sounding, the difference between it and 192kbs is very noticeable. So, if you really want your music to sound MUCH closer to the .wav file, use higher encoding rates than 128kbs!

inmyheartx said:
iTunes.

Peace duder.

yeup. or alternatively i use a program called Easy CD-DA extractor, which will rip and burn CDs as well as do file conversion, and it uses the Fraunhofer codec.

and, it's shareware! (at least the older version i have is..)

Ford Van said:
I prefer the more natural sound of the Fraunhofer codec, but it is almost impossible to find in free software as the codec is never given away.

Don't people also need the codec to be able to play MP3s encoded by Fraunhofer? Or not?

I used to use CDex but then I realized Reaper can save as .MP3 so I use that now.

danny.guitar said:
Don't people also need the codec to be able to play MP3s encoded by Fraunhofer? Or not?

I used to use CDex but then I realized Reaper can save as .MP3 so I use that now.

Nope. the Fraunhofer just determines certain variables during encoding. It is still encoded as a standard MP3 file.

I think?

MessianicDreams said:
Nope. the Fraunhofer just determines certain variables during encoding. It is still encoded as a standard MP3 file.

I think?

Yea that's probably right. :o

The codec is just an algorhithm that spits out an end product. Like different high pass filter plugins, each can have a "sound" and "quality" to them, but they all still spit out a a file in it's original format. An mp3 is an mp3 is an mp3.

Any mp3 playback codec can play an mp3 regardless of which codec was used for encoding.

I am pretty sure that you cannot find free software (legally that is) that uses the Frauhofer codec! The licensing is quite expensive for it! I did a search on Easy CD-DA Extractor, and came up with this: http://www.poikosoft.com/ Read the bottom of the page, it uses AccPlus codec. I don't remember how you can check to see which codec is used on your computer for mp3 playback. I suppose it depends on the player you use.

Lame is the most common codec used because it is free. It isn't too bad of a codec, but it has a sort of weird top end that I don't care for compared to Fraunhofer. Since I have had Audioactive Production Studio for YEARS, I just keep installing it. :)

danny.guitar said:

Yes and no. You need to buy Fraunhofer encoder if you want to encode MP3's "officially". The manufacture of the player will pay Fraunhofer for a license to playback MP3 even if the player is free. Same goes for encoding via Itunes.

There are several freeware mp3 encoders out there like LAME and installing those should allow you to encode MP3s from any DAW program

Ford Van said:
I am pretty sure that you cannot find free software (legally that is) that uses the Frauhofer codec! The licensing is quite expensive for it! I did a search on Easy CD-DA Extractor, and came up with this: http://www.poikosoft.com/ Read the bottom of the page, it uses AccPlus codec. I don't remember how you can check to see which codec is used on your computer for mp3 playback. I suppose it depends on the player you use.

If he already had the Frauhofer codec on his system from some other software, Easy CDDA may be able to use it instead of its default freebie--AccPlus.
I think.

Reggie said:
If he already had the Frauhofer codec on his system from some other software, Easy CDDA may be able to use it instead of its default freebie--AccPlus.
I think.

Maybe.....

altitude909 said:
Actually, I would say definitely. In wavelab, I can pick between any installed encoder

That is Wavelab. I do not think that every application allows this though.

I've used a program called dBPowerAmp. Lets you convert anything to anything, which is quite handy when dealing with wavs (from Sonar), MP3s, mp2s (from my tiny digital 4-track), AACs (iTunes)... yeah. It was like $20 or something, but I think it's well worth it.

I use EAC to rip CDs, LAME (search for LAME binaries) and RazorLAME for batch convert wavs to mp3s. LAME is very, very good. And free.

I've had Adobe Audition 1.5 for along time and just now noticed the mp3pro export feature that uses the Fraunhofer codec. :eek:

I did a comparison between a 128 bitrate MP3 with Fraunhofer to LAME.

The difference is night and day.

128 still isn't good quality, but 128 with Fraunhofer sounds like 192 with LAME, or pretty close.

So is this the real Fraunhofer codec? It says "Powered by Fraunhofer" so I'm guessing it is?

Back