WAV TO MIDI

jimini2001

i'm really new to the computer domain.i want to know
if it's possible to convert wav files to midi files.if so,
with what softwear?it's just a thought.thanks
jim

Softwear -- cotton is pretty soft ;)

Seriously, yes, this can be done -- monophonically, at least (melodic lines, that is, rather than chords or multiple lines). How well is a subject for debate. I was curious about this myself because I thought if I could take a relatively clean guitar track and MIDIfy it I would be able to get MIDI parts together quicker than my skill at the keyboard allows me. I found several shareware programs in the $30-70 range that will do this, but have not yet had the opportunity to try any of them.

Here's one link to get you started:

http://www.audioworks.com/

-AlChuck

thanks alchuck.my thoughts exactly.it sort of seems like cheating to learn a guitar track this way but when you work 7/10s'it dosen't leave much time to tab out songs by ear.those skills will probably suffer from this though.i'll chech out that site right now thanks again.
jimini

It sort of seems like cheating to learn a guitar track this way but when you work 7/10s'it dosen't leave much time to tab out songs by ear.

jimini2001, I don't think this technology will help you learn songs off records. For one thing, recordings are mixed -- all kinds of stuff in the WAV file going on at once -- it's virtually impossible to separate parts out of that. It's kind of like trying to get mixed paint back into separate cans of its constituent colors...

Also, even if you had a monophonic, single-instrument part isolated out of a mix, it needs to be as clean as possible for software to figure it out. Overtones from distortion, slurring and bending of notes, other effects (delay, 'verb, etc.) are going to complicate the deal.

I have a feeling that about all that you can use this software for is to create a MIDI track from something you pla yourself and recorded very cleanly and played very precisely, and even then you'll probably have to twiddle a few of the notes it figures out from that...

Maybe someday this technology will be there, but not yet...

Another possibility is to record the song digitally and just slow it down. You can do this without affecting the pitch. This makes it (hopefully) easier to suss out and learn fast, complex parts. I'm sure I've seen some sort of tools that do this (both software and hardware).

-AlChuck

i went to the site you turned me on to and you are right about the softwares capability.they say that guitar in perticular is not it's strong point.i've been playing for a little over twenty years.it's not that hard to transcribe the music myself.iwas looking for the lazy mans way out.as i said i don't have much time right now.i'm looking for a job with weekends off.that part about the records kind of puts you in the same age group as me.one of my favorite quotes is'we use to call them old farts.now we are them.thanks for the reply anyway.
jim

48 here.hurt my back recently and i feel 84.gives me some time to piddle on the net though.(pinched a nerve.have to go back to work tomorrow)talk to you later dude.see ya in chat some day.
jim

Whoa, you're older than me (but not by much). I relate to the pinched nerve, happens to me sometimes. Hope you feel better soon.

-AlChuck

You say you're looking for the lazy man's way out and you have 20 years of guitar under your belt?
Step into the 21st century and check out the Guitar to MIDI converter. If you can play it- the transcribed notation will be as accurate as you can play it.
Take a look at the Axon Neural Net converter.
As for getting the transcriptions from vinyl, well none of those .wav to .mid converters is worth a shit for the reason
AlChuck mentioned. Slowing it down usually helps, but this can be done almost as easily for vinyl than for digital. But you can easily auto loop a segment you're trying to learn with the digital approach. I remember spending a lot of time playing records at 16 2/3 RPM to learn parts. Mighty tough on the media!

what's up doc.yeh i have a digitech rp 2000 that records and will slow tempo to 1/4 without pitch change,what i wanted was to do a wave to midi then run the midi thru a tab program.the lazy way.then all i would have to do is read the tab.thanks for trying to bring an old fart up to power.you know what vinyl is too,huh?
jim

Back