wav file size limit

Eric Altizer

When I record a wav file thru Audigy 2 for over an hour, all of a sudden the recording stops and I get a message saying "There is not enough disk space".
I have 200GB free space. I record the wav file at 96 khz and 24 bit. Do I need to bring the khz level down? Will that sacrifice quality? Is this a limitation of the Creative Media software that I am using? I need to make 2 hr recordings.

I think there is a 2 gig limit to wav files. Use something like wavelab that will automatically slice it for you when recording or record in 16/44.1

Exactly...Get wavelab 5, sf8 or something similar, that will do an auto split and start a new file for you. the 2g limit is I think a windows limitation or fat 32 or ntfs..i cant remember..at any rate...a program that will split for you is what the doctor ordered....I would then rejoin those files in the same software, do ANY edits, (fades, normalizing, add gain, effects) , then RESAMPLE, then DITHER(in that order) THen track....A product that began as 24 bit and was then resampled/dithered will sound better than one that was recorded in 16/44.1 . FWIW, I use wavelab 5 for this. As far as dithering algorithms, I prefer UV22 or IDR dither. hope that helps.

www.24bitfaq.org

Hey this is terrific!

Final target is audio cd and data dvd for archiving about 30 years worth of lectures from reel-to-reel tapes plus recording live lectures now. Some lectures are over two hours and have several speakers so maybe I will make a wav file for each speaker and then put um all together like tracks on one cd as one lecture.

I will also try the wav software that you mentioned and see how that works. Thanks I didn't know about that stuff!

I will stay with 24 bit wav files I think.

Thank you for the help!

Back